HELP! LED tech support...FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 12:35 AM
1st Gear Member
Default HELP! LED tech support...FIXED

Alright team, I need some answers...I bought some really cool 1-1/4 round 4-led lamps to replace my turn signals. And the sell the flasher unit to run them which plugs into the OEM plug. Sounds great, right? NOT!

The problem is when I turn on either side(R/L) all four flash. So I started thinking of a common link, and came up with the lamp in the instrument cluster. When I unplug that harness, everything works fine. I really don't want to leave the bulb disconnected, or rewire with two indicators.

Is there an LED lamp I can use in place of the dash light? Any other trick I haven't learned yet? These lights are going to look so cool, I can't wait to share.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram that you could post?

Old 02-14-2008, 12:51 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: HELP! LED tech support

Can you post soem pics of the LEDs in question..are they the LED bulbs that replace the stock bulb?..perhaps if I know what you are dealing with I can help, I am sure if we see what you got someone will know..(I am an electronic technician by trade so i have dealt with a few LEDs in my time) Although it still sounds like thecurrent is too low and by unplugging the indicator on the dash (which would increase the current) you rectify the problem..if the indicator is in fact an incandescant bulb, try replacing it with a LED indicator lamp. BUT pics of what you are dealing with would help a lot.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Some body cares...[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Jason as far as I can tell, the dash lamp is bridged between the right and left 'hot' wires. But, pics are here.

Imagine these lamps in the lower portion of the number plate, and the rear fender. +++++

What 'cha think

Old 02-14-2008, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

bump.

Just tired and frustrated. Good night all.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:51 AM

Hey man i had the exact same problem i replaced all 4 turn signals with led's and tail light... Boom nothin works, so what i figured out thru talking to a few people is that led lights draw almost nothing.They have alot less draw than the stock incadesent lightbulbs. What i ended up doing was finding smaller incandesent lights for my front turn signals and running all the rear in led. My blinkers are now slighly faster than stock due to less resistance on the electrical system i believe. Or i found this to try maybe or something similar http://www.harrisonspecialties.com/M...ory_Code=48LED

Hope that helps man

Old 02-14-2008, 05:22 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Tony, I care, I was just out of range. sorry man. What are you trying to use the lights for? Sounds like two different things. You mentioned dash lights and turn signals. I'm confused. (insert old joke here) I'll try and re-read your post slower.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:20 AM

Keep the LED lights. You need to install a diode in one of the wires leading to the indicator bulb in the dash. The extra voltage not being used is backfeeding through that circuit causing your "hazzard flashing". KuryAukin (sp?)has a resistor and instructions listed in ther book. Any bike shop could get this for you, and I think its less than $10 (more like $6 IIRC). They also sell the resistors to wire into the circuits going to the LED flashers, if you want to slow them down.

Been there, done that on a Vulcan 2000 for a customer.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:13 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

+1 Had the same problem when wiring up my Mustang. I replaced the stock rear taillights with sequential LED's, and they both would flash whenever 1 turn signal was on. I just gotdiodes from Radio Shack - they cost like $1.59 for a 3-pack. My tailights came with resistors built in, so I haven't had to deal with that yet.

A diode acts like an electrical one-way valve, and depending on the way it's installed, will let electricity flow one way, but not the other.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Diodes make sense. Now if I'm thinking correctly, I would need one diode for each each leg of the dash indicator, or it would only flash for one direction . But in my head I feel they will cancel each other out by breaking continuity. Remember, as far as I can tell, without a diagram, the dash lamp is bridged between right and left circuits.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:06 PM
1st Gear Member

+2 Since conventional bulbs are not built in diodes (led) the current can go through it both directions. So either get a diode and wire it in on one side of the indicator bulb, or find a led replacement for it and you will be good to go.
The other alternative is to use the stock flasher and wire in resistors for the the front and rear. This is what I did and all works great. LIKE 473 said, Kuriakin has them and they are very easy to hook up. That's the one that I used.

Quick Reply: HELP! LED tech support...FIXED