Help the kids ride again!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 05:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Exclamation Help the kids ride again!

We all know congress banned the sale of bikes designed for children under 12. Go to www.tomself.com to sign a petition for Washington to revise the lead ban. If we don't do something the legacy will die!

Old 03-24-2009, 08:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Malcom Smith put himself on the line and sold motorcycles anyway. I hope he comes out OK.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Another example of a government that has lost touch with the people it is suppossed to represent. If people don't get involved and demand that their legislators enact sensible legislation or they won't to get reelected, it won't be long before we won't have any freedom or rights left. There a certain faction of miserable people in this country that just can't stand to see others enjoying themselves,and they'll do anything they can to stop it.Although they have subverted the mainstream media and the government they are not in the majority. Yes I'm aware that when election time comes around you usually have a choice of two incompetent twits one to the left and one to the right, I think we should clean house and not reelect (most) of them and then put an end to campaign contributions and enact strict rules and transparency for lobbying. I am sorry about this rant but I'm old enough to remember when this was a free country and people wouldn't tolerate the insane political and environmental correctness thats going on today. The government's been picking away a little bit at a time and shortly nothing will be left and it really has me worried. If you want to be able to ride in the coming years it is time to get involved. I signed off on the form letter and I'm renewing my soon to be expired AMA membership tonight. Sorry but I had to vent I'll not say another word about this.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Wait...I'm confused....although that won't be the last time. Last time I checked 12 year olds don't have a job or can legally enter into an agreement. If a parent can buy the bike how in world can they stop a kid from riding it? Please explain.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

So if I wanted to go buy a pit bike or a 50cc bike for myself I can't do that? Double U Tee EFF?

Old 03-24-2009, 10:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Now that I am throughly disgusted I will crawl back under my rock

Old 03-24-2009, 11:23 PM
1st Gear Member

This may be a option for some of you.Here in canada we can still buy kids bikes.for you americans that are close to the border you will actually save money.just so you dont think your country is the only one being run by the remains of circumcision's,up here in ontario the are trying to pass a law that prohibits anyone under 14 from being a passenger on a bike.if you ask me I want my kids around bikes as much as possible.yesterday my son flipped his four wheeler because he froze(he was not hurt,just a little shook up),today he slowed down for the corners.I would much rather see my 6 year old with a bike and a few bumps and bruises now,then see him at 16 being shoveled off the road.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Deej

Under the recently enacted 'economic stimulus package' motorcycles for kids under 12 are now subject to new lead testing standards. Every part in the bike will now have to be tested for lead content including the piston.

This is a result of toys from China coming into the country with lead in the paint, etc... I have no idea how a child would be able to chew on a piston from an 80cc bike but none the less the law applies to all bikes for kids under 12 years of age, and all bikes have been removed from the showroom floors. The dealers aren't even allowed to liquidate their current inventory. They're all gone. The new testing standards will undoubtedly raise the sticker price of these motorcycles if and when they are sold in the future.

Mike

Old 03-26-2009, 09:31 AM
1st Gear Member

The AMA website has a link to send an Email to your senator and congressman. I was reading on their site and their article makes a lot of sense. If you can't buy bikes designed for kids 12 and under it will force you to buy a bike that is too big and too powerful for a younger rider. This is a recipe for disaster, and hopefully there is an exemption for bikes soon before some kid gets hurt or killed just trying to ride!

Old 03-27-2009, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

And the dealers have stopped selling parts for the older stuff. Anything under 80 cc. they wont get stuff for.
Stupid is as stupid was
WTF

Quick Reply: Help the kids ride again!