HELP! Getting poor fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok. I got the bike put back together. Rolled her out the garage and started her up with choke to let er warm up a bit before I headed to the gas station to fill up and go for a ride. I had some gas at home so I probably put a half gallon in to make sure I would not run out before getting to the gas station. Got on the bike and headed down the road, the bike ran fine for about the first mile where I rolled off the gas for a 90 degree curve in the road. As I gave er some throttle in the middle of the turn the bike just died. I could start it up with or without choke and it would idle just fine, as soon as I gave it throttle it would die or try to die. I pulled the choke and nursed it back to the house. What did I do wrong? I am thinking something with the diaphram???

Probably something stupid I did.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like the needle clip fell off and your needle is not rising with the slide. Happened to me along time ago on my XR185.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Or, if the needle is not rising, could it also be that the diaphragm was ripped or not installed correctly, and the vacuum isn't building to raise the needle?

Old 01-16-2012, 11:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Would that situation kill the motor all together or just limit your rpm's.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Nothing is stupid if you are working on your own bike. It is called a learning experience

Old 01-17-2012, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2veedubs
Sounds like the needle clip fell off and your needle is not rising with the slide. Happened to me along time ago on my XR185.
I have the stock needle which does not have a clip.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Or, if the needle is not rising, could it also be that the diaphragm was ripped or not installed correctly, and the vacuum isn't building to raise the needle?
For some reason thats the first thing I thought. The diapharm was kind of a pain to get back in the grove, so I am wondering if its not in there right and as you said the vacuum doesn't raise the needle. Since I can check that without removing the whole carb, I think thats where I will start. The jets are all basically new, so unless something came from the tank then I wouldn't think it would be a plugged jet.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
Nothing is stupid if you are working on your own bike. It is called a learning experience
True, I am definately learning! At least its winter and its not the best riding weather.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2veedubs
Would that situation kill the motor all together or just limit your rpm's.
I am pretty new to this, but I don't think it will kill the motor if the diaphram was installed wrong or torn.

I came across this video and the diaphram does not react till the throttle starts to open.

CV Carburetor - YouTube

Old 01-17-2012, 03:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Right, the throttle cable only actuates the butterfly. The engine dictates how much the slide opens via vacuum.

Quick Reply: HELP! Getting poor fuel mileage