HELP! Getting poor fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 11:16 PM
1st Gear Member

What's the gearing on the bike if it's geared down it will make a difference, and your pilot is too fat.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:15 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
TNC: are you using a 125 Kaw (Keihin) jet, or DynoJet #125? A Keihin #125 is equivalent to a #118 DJ.
Hey, I'm sorry Landon. I don't know whose post I was looking when I assumed you had jetting similar to mine. In retrospect yours is nothing like mine. I use a DJ 128 main...DJ needle in the 3rd clip from the top...35 pilot...and about 1.75 turns out on the Kouba screw...and a very carefully set fuel level in the float bowl. I'm thinking in addition to your compression, it might be a good idea to check your fuel level...and do it with the clear tube on the outside of the carb method. Forget about the static position of the float itself.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
What's the gearing on the bike if it's geared down it will make a difference, and your pilot is too fat.
Its stock gearing right now, but I have been thinking about dropping the front to a 13t.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member

I tore the bike down tonight to check out the air filter and pull the spark plug. The bike is running very rich by looking at the plug. I think I will put the plug back in and put the tank back in place and check the float with the clear tube. I think I may end up pulling the carb and putting it all back to stock other than where the slide was drilled out and I will shim the stock needle with the .032 washer. I am also going to order a uni filter and install it as the one is the bike is pretty dirty and is starting to flake apart. Here are a couple pictues I took.

Attached Thumbnails HELP! Getting poor fuel mileage-plug.jpg   HELP! Getting poor fuel mileage-filter.jpg  
Old 01-04-2012, 01:27 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Wow!...trying to read plugs these days is pretty hard to do with modern fuels and cleaner burning engines...but...I think most folks would say your engine is running horribly rich.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Wow!...trying to read plugs these days is pretty hard to do with modern fuels and cleaner burning engines...but...I think most folks would say your engine is running horribly rich.
I never had to read one before, and even I nailed what the results of this one told me. LOL.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:45 AM
1st Gear Member

The main jet that I took out and replaced with a 125 was a 118. Is 118 stock or did someone else already change it some? By looking at the manual I think 115 was stock.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Landon
The main jet that I took out and replaced with a 125 was a 118. Is 118 stock or did someone else already change it some? By looking at the manual I think 115 was stock.
I believe 118 is stock. But thats keihins own jet number. DJ and Kehin are different. There is a chart online somewhere that deciphers DJ and Kehin jets. There is a big number jump between the two. I assume yer bike runs fine? Doesnt sputter or run like crap with it that rich? could be a plugged up vent hose or somethin.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

My setup is quite similar to yours. I have an '09 250, I have a OEM KLX300 exhaust system with no butt plug, and I am not running any snorkle in the airbox cover. I drilled the slide and rejetted with Keihin jets: 122 main (118 was stock) and N1TC needle set to the second clip from the top (it might even be the top position, I don't remember). Left the stock 35 pilot jet. I don't have a pic, but after thousands of miles the insulator of my spark plug is just a nice tan color.

If anything, my bike runs a little on the lean side, but it still runs well in temperatures down into the 20's F. That said, I normally get 50-55 mpg on the highway (per bike odometer) running 60-70 mph indicated at 6500-7000 RPM or so. It drops a little when trail riding, but the lowest I know of was about 45 mpg.

With all the info you've given us so far, I'd say you need to check the clip position on the needle and swap that pilot jet back for the stock 35. Also, if you have the washer on the needle, it should normally go on top of the clip, not below it.

...And still do check the float height/fuel level in the carb.

Last edited by Lutz; 01-04-2012 at 03:07 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a big bore and can't even run a bigger pilot jet, but I am at a higher elevation.

I would put it back to a 35 pilot jet and go from there.

Is your exhaust all black and sooty? Thats usually the easiest way to tell rich and lean.

This is also why I highly suggest just getting a jet kit. It seems like when people just start buying needles and jets, it never works out quite right.

By the way, with a big bore and all the goodies, I still get 57 mpg pretty much everywhere (highway or trails)

Quick Reply: HELP! Getting poor fuel mileage