Help diagnosing a problem - no electric

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 05:58 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LCubanaso
For those of you that suspected a bad battery....................YOU WERE RIGHT!!!!!

Installed the new battery and she fired right up.

I'll add this one to the lessons learned book. Had never seen a battery go bad, after starting just fine minutes before, and without warning. Well, now I have.

Thanks everyone.

Ed
Glad you got it worked out. Kudos for updating this thread, it was an interesting & informative read.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:27 AM
1st Gear Member

just ordered all the parts to put a kicker on now lol where i ride i can't afford to have a batt let go or a starter can't put my life on the line like that, need the back up

Old 07-19-2013, 09:14 PM
Default Having the same issue

Hi, I'm new to the forum but have been greatly appreciative of all the knowledge and help I have received from reading older threads.

I'm having the same problem with no power as soon as I try to start; dash and headlights go dead and I've isolated the click as coming from the same part you showed in your picture. I had it first happen around two weeks ago and noticed some corrosion around that part; I cleaned it, put it back together, started right up, and no problems until today. Not so lucky this time. I find it hard to believe that it is the battery though. I live in Kill Devil Hills, NC on the coast, lots of salt spray in the air...

Have you had any problems since you changed your battery?

Old 07-20-2013, 03:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Redshredhead
Hi, I'm new to the forum but have been greatly appreciative of all the knowledge and help I have received from reading older threads.

I'm having the same problem with no power as soon as I try to start; dash and headlights go dead and I've isolated the click as coming from the same part you showed in your picture. I had it first happen around two weeks ago and noticed some corrosion around that part; I cleaned it, put it back together, started right up, and no problems until today. Not so lucky this time. I find it hard to believe that it is the battery though. I live in Kill Devil Hills, NC on the coast, lots of salt spray in the air...

Have you had any problems since you changed your battery?
No problems since the battery change. I'm guessing here, but maybe your battery has some sort of vibration induced short/problem (plates sticking?). Depending on how old your battery is, it may not be a bad idea to replace it. After being almost left stranded, I decided I would swap out batteries a little more proactively. I just changed the one on my DR650 this year (2009 battery). It was functioning fine but 4 years on a Motorcycle battery is good enough. I don't want to risk getting stranded out in the middle of the woods.

Good luck with your issue.

Ed

Old 07-20-2013, 03:18 PM
1st Gear Member

Batteries are only good for 3-5 years. When VRLA batteries start to go, they fail within 30 days. Wetcells will die slower. Take a look at this video. It may shed some light on what you are seeing.

http://i523.photobucket.com/albums/w...psbbab824d.mp4

Last edited by Lotrat; 07-20-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Some info for the EFI owners. I have had issues with 2 KLX 250S EFI bikes straight off the ship. Assemble the bike, press the starter and the motor spins, but will not fire up.
Charge the battery for a couple of hours, and she fires first try. Clearly the battery may have enough juice to spin the starter motor, but not quite enough to fire the injectors, or maybe not spinning the fuel pump fast enough?

Old 07-16-2017, 12:33 AM
Default Inside job

👌🏿👌🏿👌🏿👌🏿👌🏿

Last edited by Casey36; 07-16-2017 at 12:10 PM. Reason: George bush Jnr
Old 07-16-2017, 06:12 AM
1st Gear Member

If you read the thread it was the battery