Help! Can't get my 07 to start!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 03:29 PM
1st Gear Member
Exclamation Help! Can't get my 07 to start!

Hi everybody, long time no post. I'm in a bind right now and could really use your help. The truck went into the shop and it's going to be there awhile so my 07 250s is my only mode of transportation right now. After 6 months of storage I pulled her out yesterday and tried to fire her up...engine turns over but bike doesn't start. Hmm, probably bad gas (not me, the bike) so I drained the tank and filled it with fresh gas. Tried again and still no start. Hmm, must be the plug so I replaced it, even though it looked pretty good (but weak spark). Tested the new plug and it had (what I consider) a weak spark too so I put the battery on the trickle charger overnight. Battery is nice and strong and the plug has an adequate spark but still no start. I have poured over theshop manual and I am not sure where to go from here. Any advice? It ran like a champ before I parked it for winter.

FWIW, when I parked it over the winter I forgot to do my usual "shot off fuel valve, run it till engine dies, then put a little fuel stabilizer in the tank". Just an ounce of prevention .....

Old 03-22-2009, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Try push starting it.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BP88
Try push starting it.
My driveway goes uphill . How will that help if the electric start won't work with a charged battery and a new plug?

Old 03-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Don't panic man, I got your solution. Putting in fresh gas really won't help if you don't get the gas out of the carburetor. Turn off the gas, open up the Allen screw on the bottom of the carb bowl, let it drain out, shut it off and then open the gas and let in fresh stuff. Give that a try, it will start man.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Try what Deej said first. Get the fresh gas in the bowl. If that doesnt work, you could pull the seat and give it a shot of starting fluid to get her going. It's not great for engines, just don't do it all the time. On another note, I had an old KLR that if I didn't treat the gas before putting it away for the winter the gas would go bad in the carb and gum everything up. I would have to pull the carb, dissassemble it, soak it in carb cleaner, and clean everything.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Don't panic man, I got your solution. Putting in fresh gas really won't help if you don't get the gas out of the carburetor. Turn off the gas, open up the Allen screw on the bottom of the carb bowl, let it drain out, shut it off and then open the gas and let in fresh stuff. Give that a try, it will start man.
Once again, Deej to the rescue! Found the allen screw, drained the carb, then it fired right up! After a stupid post like this, I guess you'll be revoking my "Senior Member/First Gear Member: status

Old 03-22-2009, 06:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Deej may have saved the day but Dan had the next step. You know the old saw about gas, spark and air. All you knew for sure was that you had good spark. Fresh gas in the tank but maybe not in the combustion chamber. Pulling the air filter to spray in a shot of starter fluid would have done two things. First, it would have made sure a (highly) combustible fuel was where it needed to be. Second, it would have confirmed that there was no air intake issue. Don't laugh, mice will chew up the darnedest stuff, although I doubt an oil soaked filter element would be appealing. Still, it never hurts to be sure.

I've also seen cases where the air problem was on the other end - the exhaust. Internal combustion engines won't run worth a toot if you plug up the flupus. I spent a lazy spring day once watching a couple of starlings build a nest in the exhaust outlet on a 40 foot Torres crab/lobster boat. When that big Cat diesel fired up the next morning that little plug didn't stand a chance - just a big grass fart. Sorta sad to see them lose all that work but I bet they don't pick that spot ever again. Good work, Deej.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Member

This is the best forum ever! All problems are solved here.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Starting fluid and having to take off the seat is a lot harder than just running the gas out if the bike is going to sit. If I had to take off the seat everytime I wanted to start the bike I would sell it.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member

No you wouldn't

Quick Reply: Help! Can't get my 07 to start!