Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 06:00 AM
Default Helmets

Sup guys,
I just recently purchased myself a brand new scropion exo 700 hemet. All I have to say is this, I LIKE IT A HELL OF ALOT MORE THEN THE MX HELMET!! Now this is just my opinion, but this helmet is supreme. It is way more comforatable then the HJC helmet. Also I noticed that its like I have more control of the bike going down the highway, no longer is wind howling around my ear going 75 mph down the highway, and also when wind gusts hit me its not as bad as an expierence as it used to be, like almost ripping my head off, this may be due to this street helmet being way more aero dynamic and alot, way, way more quiet, also my helmet no longer is wanting to be ripped of my head every time I look behind me to see if other cars are coming. I even enjoyed it once I got off the road, it was every bit as good as the mx helmet. Its extremley well vented, I thought that my head was gonna burn off with this thing on, but I stayed just as cool. It also saves me the step of putting on MX goggles every time I wanna put the helmet back on lol.

Also, when going down the road at 75 mph and a rock gets thrown into your MX helmet right below your goggles by the car infront of you, all I can say is that its friggin painful as hell. I have counted 7 rocks, pebbles, so far that have been blocked by the face shield of my new helmet. I also got it with an interchangeable mirror type face shield for the day time, that is one hell of a helmet. I don't think I will ever be wearing my MX helmet again unless its 110 degrees outside. Like I said though, this thing vented just as good until you got off your bike and walked around, but by then you just flip open the face shield, ahhhh, just as good as the MX helmet.

Old 04-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Default RE: Helmets

Unless I'm on the trails, I always wear my full faced helmet, textile jacket, full length leather gloves, street boots and either jeans or MX pants. I have Shoei TZ1. Spending $500 for the comfort of a top shelf helmet is worth it in my opinion if you do a lot of long distance rides. When I had a sportbike, I did a lot of sport touring and averaged almost 10,000 miles/year.

On the trails, I have a Sorpion MX helmet. It's a little lighter and a lot cooler than a FF helmet. You just don't need that kind of protection at low speeds. Plus, in even a minor crash, you're likely to scratch up or snap off the shield.

Old 04-10-2006, 05:53 PM
1st Gear Member

If I'm on the road I wear my road lid, trail riding I wear my MX lid and googles

Old 04-10-2006, 06:00 PM

What if your on the road for an hour, and then you get to the dirt, and you ride that for however long, and then your back on the street for the trip home

I guess I have to ride roads alot more then most people here. I again, by personal preferance, will absolutley wear the full face helmet almost exclusivley unless I truck my bike to the dirt and do not plan on riding the roads at all, but this has not happened yet, there have always been roads in every ride I have been on.

Going over 65 mph with the MX helmet is a pain in the ****, again via wind shake, wind noise, wind trying to blow your head off your neck, oh ya and pebbles smacking your face (ouch!!) etc...

With the full face all this dissapears, and it keeps me as cool as the MX if I keep moving, which I usually do on a bike If I come to a stop or am moving extremly slow for some reason, I just crack the shield. And if I fall off my bike and my helmet hits the ground and takes absortion, then I'm off to buy a new helmet, so it really doesn't matter if the faceshield gets scratched or not.

Old 04-10-2006, 06:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm lucky I guess ... it's a 5 minute ride to the trails for me, 15 at the most

Old 04-10-2006, 06:47 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Same here. It's all about how you look......right? I have the MX helmet, and IMO it looks funny when a road bike rider wears a MX helmet just like a MX rider wears a road helmet. Plus the helmet has to match right?.....come on Gravy help me out here. Oh and gravy does you're rear tail light have a license light built in?
ORIGINAL: MaverickAus

I'm lucky I guess ... it's a 5 minute ride to the trails for me, 15 at the most

Old 04-10-2006, 07:43 PM

Actually I like the way mine looks alot better then what the MX helmet looked like also even on this bike, maybe I'm just weird, but this helmet looks way better then the MX helmet, and they are both Silver. My wife even liked the street helmet way better, said I looked more "streamlined" lol. Plus I like the "mirriored" faceshield that I bought with it, I find that really damn cool, can't even see my face, just a mirror to look at

But on a serious note to me its all about comfort, and this by far offers the best comfort with how I ride, looks, I could care less. If I road a harley, I wouldn't buy one of those little helmets that just covers the top portion of your head and then wear sunglasses, I still would like skin on my face if I crashed and the crash did not kill me.

Old 04-10-2006, 07:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I have Shoei TZ1. Spending $500
[sm=jawdrop.gif] I have the same helmet mine was $199 +tax but that was three years ago

Old 04-11-2006, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Has anyone tried the Arai XD yet? They are the helmets that look like a motocross helmet complete with visor but also has a clear shield.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I had a similar helmet years ago, it was great. It was black with a dark visor looked really cool

Quick Reply: Helmets