Helmet Review: Bilt Explorer Discovery Adventure

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 08:32 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Well, everyone has an opinion, but I don't think you have to buy a $300-$500 helmet to get some good quality. I'm sure that top drawer Arai or similar helmet is better than my AFX-37, but I've been using that AFX for a few years now with excellent comfort, wind performance, flip-up face shield operation and durability, etc., etc. A helmet has to fit, be relatively durable, operate functionally, and have a decent impact rating...OK...and just from a vanity perspective, it has to look decent.

The flip-up face shield while retaining a visor has been the biggest boon for me in these dual sport helmets. I ride some serious dirt with my AFX, and it works great. I used goggles and a full coverage MX style helmet for decades, for racing and for recreational trail riding. Anymore, I hate goggles for the dual sport application. I only use my MX helmet and goggles when group riding on singletrack out at our local riding area. Otherwise I just gap back a bit to avoid choking dust from multiple riders in a group.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member

It's all in the fit for sure. If the face shield wasn't so bad I probably would have kept it. I told the guy at that store that if they are all this bad, they shouldn't be selling them. I don't think a visor that messes with your vision is wise. Maybe a test ride is the only real test. What may be fine in the store may not be fine on the bike.

The next model in the series with the internal sun lens has been getting good reviews from the ADV guys. I may give a try, but I will be much more critical in the store before I walk out with it. I'm in no hurry. The desert season kicks off in a few weeks and I'll be using my MX helmet more often. Which reminds me that I better check to see how my kids fit in all their gear.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lotrat
It's all in the fit for sure. If the face shield wasn't so bad I probably would have kept it. I told the guy at that store that if they are all this bad, they shouldn't be selling them. I don't think a visor that messes with your vision is wise. Maybe a test ride is the only real test. What may be fine in the store may not be fine on the bike.

The next model in the series with the internal sun lens has been getting good reviews from the ADV guys. I may give a try, but I will be much more critical in the store before I walk out with it. I'm in no hurry. The desert season kicks off in a few weeks and I'll be using my MX helmet more often. Which reminds me that I better check to see how my kids fit in all their gear.
It really is a shame cyclegear contines to sell this crapgear. There were only 3 pairs of aplineststar gloves ad 50 i kid you not 50 pairs of builtgloves. Its all cheap crap. Stiching explodes on impact with the ground, jackets tear, its disgraceful

Old 10-10-2013, 10:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I've got the Explorer but the model with the integrated sun visor. I didn't really want it, I walked in to fit another helmet and saw this for half off. I decided to try it on, it fit great and was comfy so I decided to try it out for 108 bucks including tax. You're right, you get what you pay for. Honestly its not a BAD helmet but its not really great...after all it was 108 bucks so I can't complain. With that being said over all it does its job and if it gets scratched I can care less. The only thing I noticed is the helmet is abnormally long, it fits my head just fine but the face area is really exaggerated. The helmet tends to "center its self" in the wind and when you turn to look it has a bit of a "catch" to it. The only other thing I noticed is for how long the front area is the wind screen has quit a bend to it and it tends to reflect things under some conditions, I wouldn't say its a safety issue but its annoying. But I got what I paid for. I have zero buyers remorse but I won't buy another one next time. Now I can appreciate spending the extra dough on a higher quality unit. One last thing, my open face dirt helmet catches less air by far on the highway when I'm turning to look. Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

One last thing, Built gloves and riding gear I wouldn't buy. I never thought about the stitching falling apart but I did notice they just fit like crap, the gloves, shirts and body armor fit like crap on me. All my Fox or Alpine Stars stuff feels awesome and almost tailored. I love it. The Fly Trekker has a much smaller face area and I think a smaller sun visor IIRC, I'd rather have paid the extra 30 bucks for one of those.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NorCalKLX
One last thing, Built gloves and riding gear I wouldn't buy. I never thought about the stitching falling apart but I did notice they just fit like crap, the gloves, shirts and body armor fit like crap on me. All my Fox or Alpine Stars stuff feels awesome and almost tailored. I love it. The Fly Trekker has a much smaller face area and I think a smaller sun visor IIRC, I'd rather have paid the extra 30 bucks for one of those.
You'd be better off with Carhartt gloves and jacked than with bilt