Helmet and goggles question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 02:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Helmet and goggles question

I am hijacking this post for the ladies! Here you go girls eye candy we can appreciate.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3271/3BCD591E31EA4EB185A81581CBC16047.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-02-2006, 02:56 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: suprakawigrl

I am hijacking this post for the ladies! Here you go girls eye candy we can appreciate.

Haha Touche!

Old 11-02-2006, 03:48 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper
As for the XD Arai, I would buy one but it doesn't fit me right. The L is too small and the XL is too large. I am going to wait for the Shoei Hornet to come to the US as the Shoei Large fits me perfectly.
Wow - that Shoei Hornet looks great. Looks a little cheaper than the Arai also - you can get it from Helmet Pro, shipped, for $411. I really like the fit an feel of my Shoei Z-two, so I'd be inclined to stick with Shoei as well. Still a bit pricey for me at this time. If I didn't already have a helmet I think I could talk myself into it, but already having two helmets, it's definitely on the "want" list as apposed to the "need" list. Although, I did ding my helmet slightly when I wrecked and broke my collar bone, and you know they say you should always replace your helmet after ANY impact, no matter how insubstantial it may seem ... dang, I'm good at rationalizing purchases.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang

I'd like to ask all of you for some advice. First of all, I've learned that the key to living with MBD (Multiple Bike Disorder) is to get your girlfriend to go riding with you. I started her out on a clapped-out '98 XR100. Now she wants to ride on and off road, which means a new bike. Just so you're all warned, MBD is contageous!

When she started riding last Spring, I didn't know if she would stick to it, so I didn't spend a ton outfitting her. The only helmet I had that would fit her was an old open-faced helmet, which definitely is not a good idea. I want to get her a new full-faced helmet and goggles for Christmas, but here's the problem. She wears glasses, and I'm having trouble finding her goggles that will fit over them comfortably. I'd like to either get her an offroad helmet with a full face shield, or an offroad helmet and a set of goggles that comfortably fit over glasses. She doesn't like street helmets - I've already tried that route. She likes the big visor on offroad helmets.

I have a Simpson GS3 with a face shield, which is an option. I know that the Arai XD is an offroad helmet with a face shield, but at over $400.00, it's too expensive for me right now. I'd like to stay in the $200.00 range. Any other suggestions or advice?

Thanks a lot!
Take her to a bike shop. Make sure she tries everything on first. I would agree with others here that if you are only going to buy one helmet, a street helmet would be best but not all work well with glasses. There are OTG goggles out there but as weather gets colder and/or it rains............... Getting hit in the face (even at 40 mph) with rain may not be to her liking. Also, a street helmet is built a bit better than a dirt one.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I really think the Simpson GS3-MX Faceshield is a great solution. Street bike helmets bite for off road because they restrict your vision tooooo much both up and down and left to right. That GS3 looks like it'll let you wear glasses and see where you need to perfectly. A little noise ain't nuthin' Man.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:06 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: suprakawigrl

[IMG]local://upfiles/3271/3BCD591E31EA4EB185A81581CBC16047.jpg[/IMG]
I'm guessing that you missed the fact that this dude has no head.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:39 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang

Thanks to all of you! That Simpson helmet is the same one that I have. I like it, but as I said, it makes funny noises that even taping the vents close doesn't solve.

Right now, deej, she's still riding the trusty (or is that rusty?) old XR100. She's only 5'2", so her choices for a new dual-sport are pretty limited. She's tippy-toed on my Dad's XT225, but she likes it. I've noticed lately that when we go ridding, she's got that poor little 100 pinned WFO most of the time, so I know she can handle some more power. We're looking at an XT225, or a lowered KLX250. I've heard of people re-lacing the wheels on a KLX with smaller rims, but I don't know how that would handle. I'm hoping Kouba links will do the trick.
I have 17" wheels on my KLX handles fine, you can also get lowering links for the KLX here
Cheers

Old 07-09-2007, 11:52 PM

You can always make your own lowering links. A friend and i went to home depot and bought some 1/8in steal and made some custom links for his KLR650,I think it was 5 bucks.
I also made some for my FZ1