Helmet cam vids from Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Helmet cam vids from Saturday

Well, as I promised, here you go. Still got a couple more to make, but I figured I could post up these that are done. The audio sucks, I've mic'ed it down very far so its not too obnoxious. If it still is, then I suggest muting it and humming some Led Zeppelin.

Please, keep in mind, neither of us is Jonathan Beile. And even though Kevin Windham rides around here sometimes, he's not in these videos. Dad is wearing the helmet cam, riding his '06 DRZ-400S.

First video is on the blue diamond loop, starting in the gravel pits. They call it the moguls. I had never ridden this before, so pops leads. I shot the first part with my digital camera, and I couldn't leave out dad's priceless quips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=486iyGaEir4

The second vid is from after lunch, riding on the white diamond loop. I've rode this several times, so I lead most of the way. I've only been riding since last summer, and trails probably less, so I'll warn you now, that I suck. Lots of feet-down in the turns. I don't trust these Dunlop 606 tires, they've let me down many times. They're great if you just do light trail riding and gravel roads, but I think when I burn these up, I'm springing for full-on knobbies. Anyways, random and pointless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86wedRB_oPM

This is more of the white diamond loop. This vid is a tad more exciting, there are a few LWCs and a couple mudholes. Some open sections where I get up to third, and a few almost-dumps when the tires jump out from under me. Had to edit this twice, stupid YouTube.. it was only 11 minutes but that 10 minute rule is awful firm. I hope quality didn't suffer when I ran this through WMM a second time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrIYO5pL1Pw

Working on the 4th and 5th right now, check back later.

Last edited by cliffsta; 03-09-2009 at 03:44 AM. Reason: added number 3
Old 03-09-2009, 03:35 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey good stuff, Cliffsta! The DRZ sounds good in those. It's cools seeing the places people ride, those gravel pits were cool. Great trails, too, that looks like a real fun area.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:56 AM
1st Gear Member

The moguls looked fun on the pictures, but not so much fun on the video, too narrow for my tatses. Looks like lots of potential for pain, not much reward. The white diamond loop looks a lot nicer to me. Hey, your father seems cool, I enjoy your pics and videos.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Last two:

This first one, I make dad lead again, because this section gets VERY tight and technical.... uphill, off-camber, one-leg-at-a-time between trees, with roots... but then he just wusses out before the actual "hard" stuff. Neat section of singletrack, nonetheless, especially since they just burned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV7cEEIzqKY

And finally, this is probably the best video of them all. The white diamond from FS 103 back to the campground. I'm leading again, and we pretty much haul booty (to me its fast). I've wiped out in here before, so I have no fear LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHrj5GZKPwQ

And I couldn't resist capturing a couple action shots from the vids LMAO

Name:  mudhole2.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  14.1 KB

Name:  mudhole.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  14.5 KB

Name:  crawling.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  14.6 KB

Name:  crawling2.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  15.1 KB

Last edited by cliffsta; 03-09-2009 at 05:10 AM. Reason: added vids
Old 03-09-2009, 05:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Awesome stuff!

Old 03-10-2009, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice videos and some really fine looking single track stuff to play on. I think it's great that you and your Dad are able to ride together (I certainly wouldn't take anything for the times I get out with my son on our bikes).

What kind of helmet cam are you using?

As far as putting the foot down goes, unless your in a trials competition or the fool gets snagged and sprained or broken, all's fair in love, war, and trail riding. A little "3 point" contact can make navigating the nasties like rocks, ditches, trees, tight turns, etc a whole lot easier. And when you get some experience and can get the rear end to hang out around those long smooth sweepers with the old inside foot dancing along the ground for some balance and english, it looks pretty cool.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member

cliffsta - Those are grea videos! You don't suck! It looks like you guys were having a blast and the area looks great. Nice job editing too! Thanks!

Old 03-11-2009, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Cool.

It is neat to see where others ride. Looks like you had fun with your Dad.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Cliffsta, nice pics...you tube blocked at work tho. You guys riding this weekend? I'm gonna be in Lafayette (hometown) this weekend and was maybe thinking about heading out to Kisatchie for the first time on Saturday. I'm a pretty much a noobie but think i can hang...

Old 03-11-2009, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Probably not Saturday, I have to work until 230, so if we ride Saturday its just gonna be roads in the old Army camp. Might ride the trails, not sure. We might ride Sunday up at Breezy Hill, though.

Quick Reply: Helmet cam vids from Saturday