Helmet cam mounting

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:37 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Helmet camera mounting?

Has anyone got any pointers in mounting a helmet camera?
In particular, the angle the camera is pointing relative to horizontal.
I hear it needs to be ponting up a bit as you tend to look down when trail riding.

Last edited by neilaction; 05-20-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by neilaction
Has anyone got any pointers in mounting a helmet camera?
In particular, the angle the camera is pointing relative to horizontal.
I hear it needs to be ponting up a bit as you tend to look down when trail riding.
Mate not sure if you have already brought the cam but I sampled a new Kodak HD device today at work here in Sydney and its quality is the best I have seen from any portable non cable unit, you can use a 32mb card and its only limitation will be battery life. As for a helmet mount helmetcams.com.au have a few. I have used the Oregon Scientific units both on the side of the helmet and the bars and helmet is the best for stable images if its hard mounted to your helmet it will view everything that you do, most have good wide angle to cover what you are looking at in front and then just look down at the speedo and its all covered.

Here is the link for the Kodak HD device.

http://www.shopbot.com.au/r.html?cat...codeid=8601342

Old 05-20-2009, 08:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I do a lot of motorcycle vlogs, and if u wanna be a cheap *** you can do it this way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc0Ll...e=channel_page

I am going to buy some sort of bullet cam soon, but at the moment this works well, even off road. The only bad thing is, u don't look cool wearing this sort of helmet while off roading, lol.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Got the gear.
It uses this super strong velcro type stuff to hold the camera to the helmet.
Before I stick the strip on the helmet, I want to get the angle more or less right.
You only get 1 crack per strip.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:58 PM
1st Gear Member

My mount is acutally adjustable. I eyeballed where I wanted the velcro before I stuck it fast. I just experimented with it in place on my helmet. With my mount I have a couple of degrees of play up and down and about 30 degrees left through right. I'm using a mounting kit from V.I.O. as I use the POV.1.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pseacraft
My mount is acutally adjustable. I eyeballed where I wanted the velcro before I stuck it fast. I just experimented with it in place on my helmet. With my mount I have a couple of degrees of play up and down and about 30 degrees left through right. I'm using a mounting kit from V.I.O. as I use the POV.1.
What angle did you end up with?

Old 05-20-2009, 03:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I honestly don't know. Helmet is in Thailand and camera is in the Prado here in the desert! The POV.1 uses a 110 degree lens and I have just the edge of the helmet visor in the lower right of the frame. Hope that helps!

Old 05-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I think the best angle is where you have a little bit of the horizon in the background or where it would be if it is obstructed due to terrain, and yet still have a little bit of the bike in the foreground, i.e., the front fender, part of the bars, etc.

You can always tell if you are watching a vid where the camera is pointing too low because you'll catch yourself subconciously trying to look up. If it's pointed to high, you miss a lot of the action, i.e., the front of the bike bouncing around, popping up over stuff, turning, etc.

The way I did it was to put my helmet on and sit on my bike on level ground, try to emulate my riding position and head angle, then adjust the camera head while watching the lcd video display on the recorder unit until I had the horizon reasonably in the picture and angled correctly. Seems to work pretty well.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Talking cameras on bikes does anybody watch motogp ?

Old 05-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah, those shots are great.

Quick Reply: Helmet cam mounting