Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 07:48 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Helmet

ORIGINAL: plameau

Hey I have the same helmet! Good chioce. I would like you to follow me down a little trail by the campground on the Notrheast ride. Perfect trail to break it in.[sm=lildevil.gif]

Really, I hope you bring your old one cuz it aint gonna look that pretty 4 miles into the ride. Oh...your plactic needs to get scuffed up to...I'll help you with that.[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif][sm=icon_stickpoke.gif][sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]
Ha ha - yes the helmet has a few scuffs on it now but it gives it character. I think DirtSurfer has renamed that trail "The Cork Screw" - I think we introduced ourselves to every tree along that maze you refer to as a trail. And true to your word, my plastics are not quite as pristine now either - I only went down twice, though - one of which was your fault - I thought you had already secured the log. [&:]

I just got back ... amazing riding, that was a blast. I'm sure some ride reports will start popping up. I think Eric has the bulk of the photos.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:48 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Hey Nobrakes, when I got home tonight, a big brown box containing my new Arai XD was sitting at my front door.

I went to Suprakawigrl like you told me and she was awesome. Her price was great and she shipped it out free of chargelast Thursday and I got it Monday.

I got the same Challenge graphics as yours except mine is the yellow/green one to "match" my KLX, while Nobrakes' is Red to match his umm....orange Katoom.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:00 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Cool! How do you like it?

Old 06-05-2007, 03:15 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Cool! How do you like it?
I think the quality and the fit and finish is awesome. I don't know what the hell those guys at Web Bike World are talking about. I don't know if you readtheir reviewbut they claimed that the fit and finish was very poor. They show a photo of the front side air vents at the chin being all ragged and the even state that it looks like it was cut with a hacksaw. Mine is flawless cutand even has a mesh grill which theirs didn't. They must have gotten some trashy prototype or something because my XD looks like a work of art.

I can't believe the amount of vents they have on this thing. The adjustments, although very precise and high quality does seem a very small and I don't know if it will hold up to repeated usage.

The helmet is lighter than I thought it would be and the fit and finish and the quality is actually above my expectation.

I see what you mean about the interior not being silky soft and smooth like the Shoei. I'm sure I'll get used to that. I don't know if I would have even noticed it if you hadn't mentioned it.

I can't wait to try it out. I'll posta road test review afterwards.

The only thing that I am disappointed about this helmet is that I thought the shield removal would be much easier. Other than that, I am very satisfied so far with the helmet and the service from Suprakawigrl.

Old 06-05-2007, 03:18 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm considering the Arai XD too. I'm currently using my HJC (which I really like) from my streetbike days, but I want something better suited for dual-sporting - especially the ability to fit googles.

I'm a bit undecided on the color though. I've narrowed it down to Aluminum Silver, Aluminum Grey (bit darker), Black and White, because I really don't care for the graphics and I can save a few bucks by getting a solid.

Any recommendations on color? ...will black be to hot? ...or will A/S keep the noggin cool by reflecting the light?....

Best price I found is at www.morepoweracing.com with a discount code: http://morepower.info/Discount/c-1-25921

Aluminum Silver/Grey: $409
Black/White: $398

Is suprmotogirl's (sp?) price any better?

Old 06-05-2007, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I got the Challenge graphics in the yellow/green. The graphics is $100+ more than the Silver which is a little more than the White. I dunno about the prices you posted because I only priced out the Challenge graphics. Actually I just checked onlyonestore and Suprakawigrl was $30 cheaperandshe gave mefree shipping. I am very happy withthe service I got from her and would buy again.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:39 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mooredan

I'm considering the Arai XD too. I'm currently using my HJC (which I really like) from my streetbike days, but I want something better suited for dual-sporting - especially the ability to fit googles.

I'm a bit undecided on the color though. I've narrowed it down to Aluminum Silver, Aluminum Grey (bit darker), Black and White, because I really don't care for the graphics and I can save a few bucks by getting a solid.

Any recommendations on color? ...will black be to hot? ...or will A/S keep the noggin cool by reflecting the light?....

Best price I found is at www.morepoweracing.com with a discount code: http://morepower.info/Discount/c-1-25921

Aluminum Silver/Grey: $409
Black/White: $398

Is suprmotogirl's (sp?) price any better?
You should PM Suprakawigrl and see what she can do for you as a KF member. Like I said, I never priced out the regular version only the Challenge graphics.

Yeah the surface of the white will be significantly cooler than black. How much it translates to inside, I don't know. Probably a minor but noticeable amount.

I'm not positive but Nobrakes mentioned something about getting the Challenge graphics because it was available right away unlike the regular ones which were not available right away.

As for me, I love loud gaudy graphics! As a matter of fact, the Challenge is a very nice clean design but had they offered something more wild, like they do in their MX helmets, I would have no doubt gotten it.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Very nice helmets[sm=loveeyes.gif]

Old 06-08-2007, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I got to try out my new helmet yesterday. Total of about 120 miles of superslab, around town and about 40 miles of dirt riding. I took the peak off but left the shield on. In this format, it has a very unique look. BTW, the helmet is not all yellow, it has some yellowish lime green mixed in but the photo makes it look like it's all yellow. It works on botha Kawi or a Suzook.

Name:  2005_08282007_0607.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  42.2 KB

I always wear ear plugs and I have to say it was very quiet on the superslab. Even at 70mph+. I didn't go much faster than that because it was also the first daywith myTrakmasters rear. So quiet that it was almost as quiet as my Shoei RF1000, and quieter than my Dainese Ergon Evo full-face. The shield despite the funny shape, actually has less distortion than my Shoei. The peripheral vision is excellent. Better than any regular full face, due to the wider opening to accomodate goggles.

At the trails, I didn't switch to goggles and rode with the shield down.Because of the MX style jaw,I never felt the need to lift up the shield like I would have to with other full face helmets.It worked so well that I will probably continue to ride off-road without goggles. Not to mention thattaking theshield off isnot a quick affair. I just put the peak back on tonight. I will see how much difference there is withit on.