Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 03:50 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Helmet

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

That's a Wolfman Enduro Tool Bag:

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Enduro/EnduroTool.html
Oh I didn't recognize it because you have it mounted sideways.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey I have the same helmet! Good chioce. I would like you to follow me down a little trail by the campground on the Notrheast ride. Perfect trail to break it in.[sm=lildevil.gif]

Really, I hope you bring your old one cuz it aint gonna look that pretty 4 miles into the ride. Oh...your plactic needs to get scuffed up to...I'll help you with that.[sm=icon_stickpoke.gif][sm=icon_stickpoke.gif][sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

Old 05-27-2007, 11:09 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Nobrakes can you wear goggles with the helmet with the shield in the up position or do you have to remove the shield to wear goggles?

Old 05-28-2007, 11:56 AM

Quote FM_Thumper:-
"Thank you for the detailed report. I really need to get one of these helmets as I need the full face/shield for the ride to/from and want to use goggles at the trail. I wish some of the cheaper ones like theShoei, HJC & the Airoh were available in the US."

I'm surprised you cant get the HJC in the states as it is a US company tried the Arai Trail-x found it really uncomfortable and heavy, lots of pinch points, but to be fair i was probably dropped on my head as a kid.So iwent out and got a HJC CL-XS this weekend and all i can say it fits great keeps me cool and doesnt try to drag me off the back of the bike above 50mph. An all-round good buy in my books.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4476/16312B117457429F86F38CFF8AAA4261.jpg[/IMG]

Rode my first enduro last weekend what a laugh covered in mud by the end of it, thought i was doing real good until someone told me that needed to hold my wrist band up to the timing post till it bleepedat the end of each lap not just ride through the gates,Bugger that was three, 7mile laps for nothing. went out for the second half but was just cruising after that news. There where some guys that did the whole event on Honda c90's or Yamaha Townmates for charity heres a link to a video of a complete lap of the course, Enjoy.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=6262009323159434842

Simon L

Old 05-28-2007, 01:50 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I don't think HJC is a US company. I once recall seeing what the initials stands for and it definitely sounded Chinese or Korean. I think it's a Korean company. Anyway, the HJC is something that I would definitely check out if it was available here in the US. I believe it is our crazy litigation system that is preventing a lot of these crossover helmets from coming to the US. [&:]

As for the Arai, where were the pinch points?

As for the your 7laps that "disappeared", all that matters is that you had fun!

Old 05-28-2007, 02:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Arai only makes helmets shapes for round (oriental), semi-oval and oval shapes for more western shaped heads. They make no mention of hatchet headed hooligans! Just some good natured ribbing and spontaneous illiteration.

Seriously though you are the very rare excepion to the rule...and you are reaping big savings because of it. I'm envious.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38

Arai only makes helmets shapes for round (oriental), semi-oval and oval shapes for more western shaped heads. They make no mention of hatchet headed hooligans! Just some good natured ribbing and spontaneous illiteration.

Seriously though you are the very rare excepion to the rule...and you are reaping big savings because of it. I'm envious.
So which shape is the Arai XD? Is it made for an Oriental or a bloodybloke?

I'm Japanese and my Shoei RF1000 in L is a perfect fit for me. I tried the Arai XD and the L seemed tight and the XL seemed a little loose. That is why I am somewhat hesitating on getting the XD, as well as the sticker shock. [&:]

Old 05-28-2007, 03:38 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

So which shape is the Arai XD? Is it made for an Oriental or a bloodybloke?

I'm Japanese and my Shoei RF1000 in L is a perfect fit for me. I tried the Arai XD and the L seemed tight and the XL seemed a little loose. That is why I am somewhat hesitating on getting the XD, as well as the sticker shock. [&:]
The XD is an 'intermediate oval' (kind of half way bettween 'bloody bloke'and oriental).That shapeis aimed at fitting a wider variety of head shapes. Usually when one size is two tight and and the next is too loose it deals with the thickness of the cheek pads. Was the 'L' tight on your cheeks? Most Arais have different thicknesses of cheek pads available. The bottom line is comfort though. No way would I fork-out that kind of money for anything short of a dream fit.

I've got the either the Signet or the Profile(long, oval shaped)in my long range cross hairs because I don't spend much time off road.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:35 PM

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

I don't think HJC is a US company. I once recall seeing what the initials stands for and it definitely sounded Chinese or Korean. I think it's a Korean company. Anyway, the HJC is something that I would definitely check out if it was available here in the US. I believe it is our crazy litigation system that is preventing a lot of these crossover helmets from coming to the US. [&:]

As for the Arai, where were the pinch points?
i found the Arai to be very tight on my temples and above my ears, it was the foam shape and not the padding, but like i said i got a funny shaped head so i always struggle with helmets, but the HJC fits snug as a bug. Heres a link to HJC Americas favourite apparently, or if you know your size by trying on other HJC helmets and know what you want i can ship one over to you if you like.

http://www.hjchelmets.com/

Simon L

Old 05-28-2007, 05:20 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: britboard

i found the Arai to be very tight on my temples and above my ears, it was the foam shape and not the padding, but like i said i got a funny shaped head so i always struggle with helmets, but the HJC fits snug as a bug. Heres a link to HJC Americas favourite apparently, or if you know your size by trying on other HJC helmets and know what you want i can ship one over to you if you like.

I believe that was the problem with the Arai Large also. It was very tight at the temples and predictably would give me a migrane. The XL Arai was very comfortable but slightly looser than I wanted.

I believe the HJC is very similar to the Shoeis and almost as good for a lot less money. So the fit would probably very similar to the Shoei.

I also have a Dainese Ergon Evo full face that I originally bought the Large and it gave me a massive migrane so my dealer swapped it for a XL. The XL is quite loose on me but it's very comfortable.

Snug as a bug, that is a very good description of how the Shoei Large fits me.

I will have to try out the Arai XD Large and XL again.

Quick Reply: Helmet