Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 09:44 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Helmet

ORIGINAL: tremor38

Seems like there are a lot of companies coming out with good helmets for decent prices these days, but I'm still reluctant to buy. I was so totally spoiled by the Arai I owned that I'm willing to pay twice the price of most normal helmets just to get that outstanding comfort and fit. The difference from the helmet I own now is like night and day. I remember wearingthe Araifor some very loooong rides and my head never had any kind of discomfort what-so-ever.

I'll have to put something in perspective though. I have a big,oval shaped head and get 'hot spots' on the forehead from most any helmet I wear. Only the Arai kept my jugsized head totally comfortablefor hours on-end.
Some of us dont have the $500 to fork out for a arai.... at least those are the prices that i saw they were going for.... when i see 500$ i think of 292cc or 331cc.... what can i say im a gearhead.....

Old 05-10-2007, 11:33 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Hey Nobrakes, I've got a question for you. I have the same helmet that EMS posted a pic of - a Simpson GS3 with a face shield. My only complaint about that helmet is that air somehow seems to flow up between my face and the face shield - a lot of air. It's annoying because it dries out my contact lenses - I end up blinking like a crack addict!. Does the Arai XD do the same thing?

Old 05-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I've not had a chance to get out on it except that one ride but the face shield seems to seal well and I didn't notice any air flow under it or whistling or anything.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

yea the arai has a positive seal with the face shield, the simpson gets more air in.....

Old 05-24-2007, 03:20 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Hey Nobrakes, now that you had some time to ride with your new XD, can you post a more detailed report? I am very interested in this helmet. I have to ride 60 miles on the super slab to the dirtbike park so I would like full helmet protection to and from the park, but once I'm at the trails, I would like to wear goggles.

BTW, it looks like they are no longer shipping the Shoei Hornet to the US. I will have to decide between the L & the XL on the Arai.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:05 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I've used it on a number of rides.

I have two other helmets, a Shoei Z-Two street helmet that I use most often and my Thor MX helmet (Chad Reed Replica) that I wear only rarely.

Comfort wise, the Arai XD is way more comfortable than the Thor MX, but not quite as comfortable as the Shoei. It probably boils down to the material inside - the Shoei is silky soft while the Arai is a soft, but not quite as baby smooth.

Noise level - MX helmet is no comparison - it's almost like wearing no helmet w/regard to outside noise as well as wind noise. It's a noisy ****. By comparison the Arai and Shoei are a world apart in this respect. When compared to each other, though, the Arai is quieter than my Shoei at low speed - better ear coverage I guess which dampens exhaust and other outside noise. But when the speed picks up, the Shoei is quieter due to being more streamlined and has less wind noise.

Venting - the Arai is a great compromise in this department as it gets very good air flow even at low speed. The Shoei not so much - it's a street helmet and you need to keep the speed up to get good air flow unless you pop the face shield. The Arai's front vent can be completely closed off or opened up and it has 5 top vents that can be opened or closed. Due to the better venting of the Arai I find that where I would normally lift the face shield of the Shoei, I'm fine with leaving the Arai's down as it stays cooler.

Since I've got the Arai XD, I've not even put on the other two helmets. Though it does have its compromises, I still love it and would buy it again. The only downside is the price, but there's not much else out there that compares to it.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:14 PM

I have been lusting over that helmet for a bit over a year................... maybe after this one bites the dust (with out me in it that is)

Old 05-25-2007, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

I've used it on a number of rides.

I have two other helmets, a Shoei Z-Two street helmet that I use most often and my Thor MX helmet (Chad Reed Replica) that I wear only rarely.

Comfort wise, the Arai XD is way more comfortable than the Thor MX, but not quite as comfortable as the Shoei. It probably boils down to the material inside - the Shoei is silky soft while the Arai is a soft, but not quite as baby smooth.

Noise level - MX helmet is no comparison - it's almost like wearing no helmet w/regard to outside noise as well as wind noise. It's a noisy ****. By comparison the Arai and Shoei are a world apart in this respect. When compared to each other, though, the Arai is quieter than my Shoei at low speed - better ear coverage I guess which dampens exhaust and other outside noise. But when the speed picks up, the Shoei is quieter due to being more streamlined and has less wind noise.

Venting - the Arai is a great compromise in this department as it gets very good air flow even at low speed. The Shoei not so much - it's a street helmet and you need to keep the speed up to get good air flow unless you pop the face shield. The Arai's front vent can be completely closed off or opened up and it has 5 top vents that can be opened or closed. Due to the better venting of the Arai I find that where I would normally lift the face shield of the Shoei, I'm fine with leaving the Arai's down as it stays cooler.

Since I've got the Arai XD, I've not even put on the other two helmets. Though it does have its compromises, I still love it and would buy it again. The only downside is the price, but there's not much else out there that compares to it.
Thank you for the detailed report. I really need to get one of these helmets as I need the full face/shield for the ride to/from and want to use goggles at the trail. I wish some of the cheaper ones like theShoei, HJC & the Airohwere available in the US.

BTW, what kind of tailbag is that on your Katoom?

Old 05-25-2007, 01:10 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper
BTW, what kind of tailbag is that on your Katoom?
That's a Wolfman Enduro Tool Bag:

http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Enduro/EnduroTool.html

Old 05-25-2007, 03:22 AM

Very nice helmet. I am going to hopefully get my KLX in the next month or so, and I deffinatly want a helmet with a face sheild. Is there any other options besides the Simpson or Arai? The Simpson looks nice, but I dont have the coin for the Arai.

Quick Reply: Helmet