Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 04:02 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Helmet

Hey wow, that Shoei looks nice. I also have a Shoei but it is a Z-Two for the street and it is very comfortable. Regarding fitment, I was a little concerned about that since I'd never tried one in person but I decided to risk it, took the noggin measurements and bought the one indicated in their size table. I've heard that Arai makes several different shells to fit 3 or 4 predominate head shapes and the one sold in any particular region matches the head shape in that region. So if your head is a little different from the norm in North America, the Arai may not fit quite as well as say an Aria from Europe. Or so I've heard. Mine seems to fit good, but I'll need a few more longer rides to see if any hot spots show up. Nothing like a long day of riding to find every little area of helmet discomfort. I wear glasses so that area is usually around my temples as the padding presses them against my head.

One thing I have noticed about the Arai is that it seems to incorporate some sound-proofing specifically around the ears, and is not unlike putting on a big set of those large padded headphones. It seems to do a much better job of deadening the exhaust note than my Shoei, and there'd be no comparison with my Thor MX helmet which doesn't even try to do anything with sound levels.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:17 AM
1st Gear Member

with the visor down how is the air flow?

Old 05-09-2007, 04:23 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Seems pretty good - the bottom is more open than a typical street helmet and the front vent has three settings from fully closed to fully open. The top has 5 vent holes that also can be opened or closed.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:33 AM

I love that style helmet! I am going to have to make a purchase soon. Looks like it is time to go try on a couple of new helmets to see which one I like. Nice lid and ride!

Old 05-09-2007, 04:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Nobrakes nice helmet! I was just looking at them last weekend on lineAnd I could not decide onwhich color to get. I checked every shop on Long Island and no onestocks them. They all said we can order it, and I said I can order ittoo..I read some reviews on the AriaXD and everyone loved it.. How is wind noise? Can you open the shield a 1/4 or 1/2 way open or is it full open and full closed?

Old 05-09-2007, 05:42 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

The wind noise is pretty high at least at speed. Less than 35 or 40 it is very quiet, higher than that it gets pretty noisy. But in my excitement to try it out, I didn't take the time to see how the top vents worked and they were open during my test ride and I didn't want to fiddle with them too much while riding and give the helmet the ultimate test out. Nor did I really want to stop and close them. So while the wind noise is substantial with them open, I'm think it quiets down a good bit when they are closed. At low speed though, the helmet is quieter than my Shoei Z-Two helmet. My Shoei gets louder too when the top vents are open.

Unlike the Shoei, though, the visor buffets in the wind if you tilt your head up or sideways. Not really a problem, just different. But on the plus side, it will be nice to be able to tilt your head and block the sun - driving into the sun while wearing my Shoei is a bit scary.

I'm pretty sure you can open the face shield part way. In the photo above it is up as far as it goes and there is some friction in moving it up so I think you can open it partially. When closed, though, it snaps into position with a click.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:02 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

Hey wow, that Shoei looks nice. I also have a Shoei but it is a Z-Two for the street and it is very comfortable. Regarding fitment, I was a little concerned about that since I'd never tried one in person but I decided to risk it, took the noggin measurements and bought the one indicated in their size table. I've heard that Arai makes several different shells to fit 3 or 4 predominate head shapes and the one sold in any particular region matches the head shape in that region. So if your head is a little different from the norm in North America, the Arai may not fit quite as well as say an Aria from Europe. Or so I've heard. Mine seems to fit good, but I'll need a few more longer rides to see if any hot spots show up. Nothing like a long day of riding to find every little area of helmet discomfort. I wear glasses so that area is usually around my temples as the padding presses them against my head.

One thing I have noticed about the Arai is that it seems to incorporate some sound-proofing specifically around the ears, and is not unlike putting on a big set of those large padded headphones. It seems to do a much better job of deadening the exhaust note than my Shoei, and there'd be no comparison with my Thor MX helmet which doesn't even try to do anything with sound levels.
Kind/sorta on the shape aspect. Diffent series of Arai helmets have different shapes. If there's more super-moto/dual sport type arai helmet lines than the Xd, chances are you can find one that is a different shape. I have to go online to buy my helmets because mostAsian heads are round...but it's separated by model, not by region.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

The guys from Dirt bike TV had those helmets... they looked nice. Patrick gave me one of these.... but it was too small... so i ordered one size larger in flat black.... great helmet... smoke face shield works great. Its a good helmet and its not as expensive as the arai.

http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/p...p;prod_id=2458

Old 05-09-2007, 08:11 PM

Sweet looking lid Nos!!!!!

Old 05-10-2007, 09:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Seems like there are a lot of companies coming out with good helmets for decent prices these days, but I'm still reluctant to buy. I was so totally spoiled by the Arai I owned that I'm willing to pay twice the price of most normal helmets just to get that outstanding comfort and fit. The difference from the helmet I own now is like night and day. I remember wearingthe Araifor some very loooong rides and my head never had any kind of discomfort what-so-ever.

I'll have to put something in perspective though. I have a big,oval shaped head and get 'hot spots' on the forehead from most any helmet I wear. Only the Arai kept my jugsized head totally comfortablefor hours on-end.

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

The guys from Dirt bike TV had those helmets... they looked nice. Patrick gave me one of these.... but it was too small... so i ordered one size larger in flat black.... great helmet... smoke face shield works great. Its a good helmet and its not as expensive as the arai.

http://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/p...p;prod_id=2458

Quick Reply: Helmet