Heated Handgrips

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Heated Handgrips

I'll figure out how to post pics some year,,..........I'm just done trying right now.......had to many cold ones......LOL

Old 12-28-2007, 11:13 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Looking forward to the pics Truckman. Do you have a photobucket account? If not its easy, I can walk you through it, just let me know.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Name:  DSCF1764.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  98.1 KB

The Brown wire is keyed power.
Name:  DSCF1770.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  156.0 KB
My big jumble of mess....there is alot of stuff packed into this really small space!
Name:  DSCF1777.jpg
Size:  143.9 KB
just shows where some of the stuff is.to mount the switch i use the soldering iron to poke 2 really small screw starter holes in the pod.The screws must be very short for this.put a dab of silicone under the bracket at each screw to seal it back up.
Name:  DSCF1781.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  131.3 KB
close to being buttoned up.i had to turn the switch left to right to clear my bar adapter/risers so the cluster will bolt back on right.
overall they work great.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, if you wanted to, you could get an off-the-shelf lighting relay and just turn that into something that would handle all of your accessories. In the case of these grips, they put very little added demand upon the system...easily within the design headroom. For any additional loads, I've done what Deej did in installing an accessory outlet that is wired directly to the battery. You could take that a step further by installing a relay and using any type of switched power for control. Lots of possibilities.

ORIGINAL: HeavyFuel

I had HotGrips on my VStrom. I powered the grips straight off the battery, but ran the power to the grips through a relay activated by switched power, which I tapped into from the instrument lighting circuit. That way you get solid battery juice, without worrying about overloading any other wires, and the grips will always turn off when you shut off the bike, even if you forget to turn them off.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice work, Truckman! I was going to get some grips with a high/low setting, but luckily my dealer was honest and told that the low postion was too low (on this particular Japanese brand) and the high was too high. My grips are very basic..on or off. When they get too toasty, I just loosen my grip for a few seconds.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:48 PM
1st Gear Member

You guys need the Heat-troller http://www.warmnsafe.com/motorcycle_sae.php (I had this setup on the VStrom) It uses PWM (pulse width modulation) to regulate power to the grips. The HI/LOW switch uses a resistor, and is actually using full power on both settings. HI sends all the power to the grips, LO splits the power between the grips and the resistor. The PWM controller rapidly pulses power on and off (too fast for you to notice) and is infinitely variable via a rotary switch. On a lower setting the power pulses are short compared to the off time, on a higher setting the pulse is longer in relation to a brief off time.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:47 PM
1st Gear Member

That is the way to go..that system would only use as much power as needed to keep your hands warm and no high wattage resistor strapped next to the ignition wires, Im guessing it's a bit more $$$, but worth the piece of mind of not melting any wires under the headlight shroud.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Great job man!! For any of you that are looking for heated grips, the ones on my wife's bike are really great. Take a look again at this picture. The switch is a push button on/off with a lighted led for the on position. It also has get this 9 settings, so the temp can be set for the individual person and outside temperature conditions. I'm not saying that a relay is a waste of time, but this was really an easy install for me.

Name:  100_5928.jpg
Size:  91.7 KB

Old 12-30-2007, 05:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh and the controller came with the grips for a total of like $60.00

Old 12-30-2007, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Member

But i spent a whoppin 9.87$ for my whole setup ...LOL.
I looked at the PWM type which is similar to what Deej has but i just didn't want to spend the money on that....and yeah i thought about that resistor getting nice and really hot so it's actually strapped to the top of the metal bracket for the headlight which would help cool it off some.
Yeah Deej i made a photo bucket accound and figured that out this morning...thanks I'll have to get my "complete" pic up so you can see "nothing" but the switch...LOL

Quick Reply: Heated Handgrips