Headlight Switch... Again

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 02:06 AM
Default Headlight Switch... Again

Anyone have any ideas for tracking down the switch in the picture?
I'm trying to determine the part number, and haven't had much luck. I can't be sure, but I think it was on the KLX250ES that was sold maybe in some parts of Europe (UK?) and Japan in the mid to late 90's. There should be 3 or 4 versions of this switch. The 2006-2007 US version which has the stop switch and the starter button is 46019-1733. There was a more common version in the UK with a headlight switch, but no starter button on kick-start only models (46091-1603). I'm thinking that the model with stop switch, headlight switch and starter button is somewhere around 46019-16XX, but I can't be sure because I can't read Japanese, and more than that I haven't found any parts diagrams for the right KLX model.
Finding the right part number is one thing, finding the actual part is another; but the part number comes first.

Last edited by Earthscape; 12-22-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:28 PM
1st Gear Member

What is it going on? I'm assuming the bike and switch years don't match. Is that correct?
If you look on Ron Ayers site, I'm pretty sure you have to find the first year the bike was produced or the year significant changes were made to find the microfiche for your bike. For instance, they don't have a fiche for a 2012 KLX250, you have to look at 2006 or 2009.
Or try Bike Bandit for a parts fiche. You might have to make a few guesses to get the right microfiche.
Why not just get an aftermarket that has all the same switches?
Or if you have a pack rat shop around ask if they have any old switches laying around. When my starter button broke the dealer took me out back to a milk crate full of old switches, pulled off for one reason or another, to look for a close enough match. I didn't find one, but there were lots in there that looked like they would work if I really wanted/needed to make it happen.
Good luck searching.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:48 AM

I have a 2007 KLX250S, and the switch would go on it. I have done this on other bikes I have - get the european version of the switch which is the same, but has the headlight control where on the US version it was removed to meet federal regulations.
The switch will not be on any fiche in a country where the switch was never sold, which means no US-based company will have the switch listed (at least that I can tell). Hence the trouble finding the right diagram - I don't have a definitive year or country where the switch was used. If I can't find it, then oh-well; but it would be nice if I could find the right part number for that particular control switch since it was original KLX250 issue.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I adapted this switch to my '09.

DualSport Plus - KLR 650 adventure, enduro, dual sport motorcycle parts and accessories - Light switch

If they no longer have it use Google to search for: 27010-1016-AS

I bought an extra stock light switch to cut apart the harness and splice to the KLR650 aftermarket switch harness. I like the idea of being able to turn the headlight off. I bought the extra stock switch so I'd have the original switch intact should I ever need it to put back on.