Headlight and running light no worky after crash

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 07:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Headlight and tail light no worky after crash

As the title says my headlight and running light for the taillight no longer work after laying it down in the street the other night, pretty decent crash but everything else works fine. Brake light works, turn signals work, everything. I checked the bulb and put a new one in. still doesnt work.

Any ideas? maybe a connection came loose? where at?

Im at a loss

Last edited by antmo920; 06-23-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Did you try both low & high beam? Since there is no switch to turn these lights on & off my first guess would be a connector close to the ignition switch. Hopefully someone else can chime in with more detail of where to look.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Fuse?

Old 06-23-2010, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Miaugi
Did you try both low & high beam? Since there is no switch to turn these lights on & off my first guess would be a connector close to the ignition switch. Hopefully someone else can chime in with more detail of where to look.
yea i tried both beams, both dont work. im guessing a wire got ripped or a connector came loose, hopefully its something easy to find

Old 06-23-2010, 08:59 PM
1st Gear Member

I just took a look through the lighting schematic Looks like the power for the headlight goes through the ignition switch to a 10 amp fuse which then branches out to the headlight dim/bright switch. From there it looks like it goes through two connectors in the harness before it makes it to the actual bulb socket. I would get yourself a voltmeter and start working my way back through the circuit. You most likely have a loose connection in the harness somewhere from the crash. Looks like the 10 amp fuse also powers the tail light circuit, do you have a taillight power?

Cheers

Old 06-23-2010, 09:21 PM
1st Gear Member

i have taillight power kinda, there is no running light but the brake light does work.

Is the headlight and running light for the tail on the same fuse?

Old 06-23-2010, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Tail light is tail light, there's no such thing as "running light in tail light".

And then there is brake light, but that's separate. So lets not invent new terms for things just to confuse everyone

And you said both headlight and tail light are not working. Sounds like time to check the fuse that powers them both.

--
Mikko

Old 06-23-2010, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
...So lets not invent new terms for things just to confuse everyone ...
Rough day at the office?

Old 06-23-2010, 10:55 PM
1st Gear Member

No it's not. And that's why I was so nice. Yesterday was rough....

It really is confusing when people invent new terms for stuff, or new acronyms for that matter. Doesn't help others to understand what the heck is going on.

Back to the OP, check that fuse that powers both the headlight and tail light.

--
Mikko

Last edited by FlyingFinn; 06-23-2010 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Trying to make my new fancy sig line to show....
Old 06-24-2010, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member
Location: In North Western Jersey, but from Jackson, WY Originally

So what's the word on this? Were you able to trace the harness and find an issue? If it's affecting both headlight AND tail-light, you should really only have to check the power from battery to the headlight. Fuse is the easiest place to start, pull the fuse, find a good ground, turn it on and use a test light or voltmeter to see if there is power into the fuse. After that, you should only need to trace back to the battery, since it splits there to the head/tail light. Might be worth checking around the battery straight out to to see if maybe one of the power supply wires got broke right there. (only place in the system where i can think and impact might have a meaningful affect on a wire honestly.

Oh and have you done anything aftermarket to your wiring on your bike at all? (as in any extra or changed electronics, lights, hand-grips, outlets, etc.)

Quick Reply: Headlight and running light no worky after crash