headlight options

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 04:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
It's not a good idea unless you are OK with running a non-street-legal lighting set up. On road, you'll cause a driving hazard for yourself others. At the very least you'll attract attention from zealous police looking for a reason to pull you over.
The reflector geometries of a halogen housing and HID housing are different to account for the different characteristics of the two types of bulbs. An HID bulb in a halogen housing results in hot spots and an uneven spread of light which can blind others and leave critical parts of your view in the dark.

actually hid in the lens almost looks like a projector
look how sharp the top line is, and I really dont like that in the twisties at night too much of a cut off hard to see whats ahead in a sharp turn
just like a projector

Just keep it angled down as far as you can
because its so bright you will see way further then the stock

HID
Name:  984b1934800c03908efd6eaee56c3820_zps1432bf13.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  1.76 MB

STOCK
Name:  63D1C05B-2B41-439D-91A0-5A9CE8C9E4CD-15828-00001C62C2804E54_zps1cb49ee7.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  381.5 KB

Old 03-12-2013, 09:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't want to create a hazard to other drivers or myself. I am just looking to be able to see better, would a different bulb in my stock headlight do the trick? I heard of people puting in a brighter bulb but the heat melted the plastic.Is there a headlight I could swap out with, I mean the whole glass part.I appreciate everyone's ideas and opinions, it is very helpful

Last edited by 10thmountainman; 03-12-2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I put a PIAA bulb in my KLR and it made a huge difference. They make a special bulb for motorcycles that can withstand the vibes. Melting the plastic on the KLX? the headlight assembly is glass...

Old 03-12-2013, 12:41 PM
1st Gear Member

HID aimed right is no hazard, and they last a long time, suck less power from the bike...slightly harder to install only due to needing to hook up to the battery.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Subasaki
HID aimed right is no hazard
We should clarify Sub that in one sense, you're right. A properly aimed OE HID lighting assembly is not hazardous.
However, an HID bulb fitted inside a housing meant for a standard bulb can not, by definition, ever be aimed properly, and is therefore hazardous. DOT has concluded the same and that's why they mandate that replacement bulbs must be of the same type that the OEM designed the housing for. Any one of us who has experienced an oncoming vehicle at night with illegal (non-OEM) HIDs also knows from blinding experience that they are hazardous.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
We should clarify Sub that in one sense, you're right. A properly aimed OE HID lighting assembly is not hazardous.
However, an HID bulb fitted inside a housing meant for a standard bulb can not, by definition, ever be aimed properly, and is therefore hazardous. DOT has concluded the same and that's why they mandate that replacement bulbs must be of the same type that the OEM designed the housing for. Any one of us who has experienced an oncoming vehicle at night with illegal (non-OEM) HIDs also knows from blinding experience that they are hazardous.
yes, without a projector lens..the light scatters more..however, aimed where is should be, ive NEVER been high beamed by oncoming traffic,also the road is much more visible..all in the aiming.in the pic 2 posts above..notice the extra brightness is BELOW the cutoff line(towards the road)

Old 03-12-2013, 09:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
I put a PIAA bulb in my KLR and it made a huge difference. They make a special bulb for motorcycles that can withstand the vibes. Melting the plastic on the KLX? the headlight assembly is glass...
I am not sure, but think it was referring to the plastic housing that the glass sits in. I am not sure where I read about it but it was on a forum like this if not this one. How much do the PIAA bulbs cost? How much wattage do they use?

Old 03-12-2013, 09:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Subasaki
...slightly harder to install only due to needing to hook up to the battery.
Does this unit replace the wiring of the OEM or just tie into it?

Old 03-12-2013, 11:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Plug and play

Old 03-14-2013, 09:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MikeW
actually hid in the lens almost looks like a projector
look how sharp the top line is, and I really dont like that in the twisties at night too much of a cut off hard to see whats ahead in a sharp turn
just like a projector

Just keep it angled down as far as you can
because its so bright you will see way further then the stock

HID

STOCK
That light pattern looks very nice!!! What lamp was that? (manufacturer/model#)

Quick Reply: headlight options