Headlight modulator on KLX 250s?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Headlight modulator on KLX 250s?

Healing from my M/C accident 3 weeks ago, been thinking.
Have any of you used a headlight modulator on your KLX 250s?
I think this MAY enable the other driver to see me better? Comments?

Thanks!!

Stashu

Old 04-14-2012, 08:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I’ve been down several times, from hitting animals to avoiding cage drivers doing something stupid. Going fast or just cruising, bikes have a small signature that is hard to see. Like you, I wanted to be seen. I have a modulator on my big bike (Yamaha Road Star 1700) and I know it gets drivers attention. In addition to the modulator on my big bike, and with my two other bikes, I wear white helmets. To help on my KLX, I placed several high visibility reflective stickers on my front fender and number plate above the head light. I also ride with the thought that every cage driver is a total idiot. - Hope that you heal quickly and are back up a riding soon.

Name:  KLXStickers.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  54.8 KB

Old 04-15-2012, 01:02 AM
1st Gear Member

I hope you are ok. What happened? I am new and very cautious. Every intersection I approach with great caution and that includes and place cars can come for the side.

What does the modulator due? Is that a strobe effect? If so I think that is for sure a good idea for daytime. I have seen this on bikes and thought it was great.

I did as above on my bike and used reflective tape in the forks, hand guards an inner radiator plastic (can be seen from the front) as well as on my swing arms.

This one looks pretty good. http://www.comagination.com

It also will do the brake light modulation. The combo is about $85.

Last edited by stephenmarklay; 04-15-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I always run a modulator on my road bikes. Usually Kissan brand. I've had a Signal Dynamics on my KLR650 for 10,000 HARD desert miles...it's been flawless. I have not yet put one on the KLX, because I'm rarely on the road with it.

Modulators vary the intensity of the headlight at a prescribed (lawful) rate (assuming you are talking about commercially-made modulators that say they are modulating at a lawful rate). They are controlled by light sensors so they don't modulate in low light or at night. They can be turned off. Some modulate either high or low beam....I generally find that modulating on high beam tends to be a bit much for the others on the road, but, modulating on low beam gets attention without making people angry. That's just my opinion...not a scientific fact.

Old 04-15-2012, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
I generally find that modulating on high beam tends to be a bit much for the others on the road, but, modulating on low beam gets attention without making people angry. That's just my opinion...not a scientific fact.
+1. The ones that modulate the high beam are VERY annoying.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info!!

Stashu

Old 04-16-2012, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for asking the question. I am getting one this week. Like I said I had seen them on bikes but did not know how they were getting them to "modulate" Now I do.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member

I think my HID makes me very visible during the daytime...atleast from the front

Old 04-16-2012, 01:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Subasaki
I think my HID makes me very visible during the daytime...atleast from the front
No doubt that brighter helps. I think brighter makes the mind think you are closer. Think about a car coming toward you. The closer it gets the brighter the light appears. It gives you a buffer zone. I think.

I also think the strobe effect, the change in light, makes people take notice. Its not that drivers don't "see" motorcyclists but the perception of distance and time are different than cars and a motorcycle is not what they are used to looking for. Brighter lights and changing lights help them notice.

I don't think that the modulators work with HID. I was doing HID but now I have decided to stick with Halogen and just get the best bulbs and a relay to keep the voltage high. The modulator will be the icing.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:43 AM
1st Gear Member

Just got the modulator for my rear light a week ago, and I've been thinking of one for the front. Let us know what you get, where you mount it, and how hard the mod was...

Quick Reply: Headlight modulator on KLX 250s?