header turnig red all of a sudden????

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 09:24 PM
1st Gear Member

If it worked just fine before the slumber then your jetting is fine. No adjustments or changes are needed.

My hunch is that your pilot is clogged. Very typical of a bike allowed to set with a bowl full of fuel. When the pilot is plugged up, the bike won't run without the choke so the choke is left on too long (red header) and then when you let out the choke it is still very lean so it won't run right, stalls, acts badly.

Remove the bowl and try to clear the pilot jet. It's the one inside the aluminum cave. That's where I would start.

You can probably do it with the carb in the bike, use carb cleaner, compressed air, and something soft and pokey to jab into the pilot orifice. You don't want to enlarge or scratch the bore of the jet, just clear it of crystals.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

My 09 which runs as well as any bike here will make the header glow red at idle at night. It's got about 6K miles on it and this is normal for this bike. Maybe not all, I do still have the smog stuff on the engine but the complete exhaust is FMF. To the OP though it sounds like your pilot is gummed up.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
If it worked just fine before the slumber then your jetting is fine. No adjustments or changes are needed.

My hunch is that your pilot is clogged. Very typical of a bike allowed to set with a bowl full of fuel. When the pilot is plugged up, the bike won't run without the choke so the choke is left on too long (red header) and then when you let out the choke it is still very lean so it won't run right, stalls, acts badly.

Remove the bowl and try to clear the pilot jet. It's the one inside the aluminum cave. That's where I would start.

You can probably do it with the carb in the bike, use carb cleaner, compressed air, and something soft and pokey to jab into the pilot orifice. You don't want to enlarge or scratch the bore of the jet, just clear it of crystals.
Hay hbeam u r the man!!! That was it thank you for the help bro.. And everbody else great people great forum!!!!

Old 08-17-2012, 09:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kayelx250s
Hay hbeam u r the man!!! That was it thank you for the help bro.. And everbody else great people great forum!!!!
Agreed!

And looking back on it now, that makes a lot of sense for my own bike. It was used very little before my purchase, and a good chance the pilot was a little clogged and therefore the choke needed for a longer warm up than most.