header turnig red all of a sudden????

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

The choke shouldn't be used to warm up your bike. It should only be used to get it started. Then turn it off and let your bike idle for 5 mins.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:19 AM
1st Gear Member

When I got my 2006, used, but clean stock condition, the choke would need to be on for 30 to 60 seconds before the bike would hold an idle. Turning the fuel screw out a little may help it hold idle sooner after choke off as it enrichens the supposedly lean idle circuit.

I'm one of those who believe letting an engine idle for a long period to "warm up" is not a good thing. Fire it up, put on the helmet and gloves, choke off, drive off easy and warm up while riding. But that's just my opinion...

Old 08-13-2012, 12:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
The choke shouldn't be used to warm up your bike. It should only be used to get it started. Then turn it off and let your bike idle for 5 mins.
Neither of my bikes will idle by themselves off choke until the warm up a bit (about a minute), unless you hold the throttle open a bit. My wheeler either.

I spent at least 15 minutes tuning the pilot circuit on the KLX and probably half an hour on the ninja (4 carbs) so i know that isn't the issue. Both bikes run fantastically in all throttle ranges as well.

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
When I got my 2006, used, but clean stock condition, the choke would need to be on for 30 to 60 seconds before the bike would hold an idle. Turning the fuel screw out a little may help it hold idle sooner after choke off as it enrichens the supposedly lean idle circuit.

I'm one of those who believe letting an engine idle for a long period to "warm up" is not a good thing. Fire it up, put on the helmet and gloves, choke off, drive off easy and warm up while riding. But that's just my opinion...
I agree, but the bike needs to be warmed up enough that its not bucking and stumbling while trying to ride that first mile or so. At least IMO.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:22 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
100% agree. Idling and "warming up" is one of the worst things one can do to an engine.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

idk if i have ever had to use the choke on any bike for anything more than getting it going, and if the bike is going to sit while i'm getting ready its off, get on and ride the only thing i do let idle is my snowmobile untill i can feel some warmth in the tunnel so i don't put a ton of cold coolant into motor when the t-stat opens,

Old 08-13-2012, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
I agree, but the bike needs to be warmed up enough that its not bucking and stumbling while trying to ride that first mile or so. At least IMO.
If the carb is jetted correctly, you should be able to ride off immediately without any bucking or stumbling.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FM_Thumper
If the carb is jetted correctly, you should be able to ride off immediately without any bucking or stumbling.
then i guess all of my carbs have been jetted incorrectly and were from the factory as well (all 5 street bikes), and all of the FI bikes i've ridden have faulty injectors/fuel maps.

thats dissapointing since they all seem to run really well when warmed up.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

then i guess all of my carbs have been jetted incorrectly and were from the factory as well (all 5 street bikes), and all of the FI bikes i've ridden have faulty injectors/fuel maps.

thats dissapointing since they all seem to run really well when warmed up.
I have five bikes (two carbed, and three injected) currently and none of them buck or stumble when cold and they can all be ridden off immediately.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FM_Thumper
I have five bikes (two carbed, and three injected) currently and none of them buck or stumble when cold and they can all be ridden off immediately.
Congrats i guess ??

I'm just amazed that people can have such varied results with such things. I guess i could go fatten up my jetting, but like i said i spent quite a bit of time trying to get the pilot circuit just right i would hate to go and just start adding fuel to "fix" it.

In all the years i've been riding its just something that i thought was "normal" as all the bikes and wheelers i've owned have had atleast some degree of "cold bloodedness".

If the choke is only used for start-up why does EFI have pre-programmed fast idle that lasts mutiple minutes ?

Honestly, i'm not being sarcastic, i am genuinely curious.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:10 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

If the choke is only used for start-up
I use the choke to start up and then ride off immediately with it and usually push it back in about a block down the road.

Quick Reply: header turnig red all of a sudden????