Head/Piston explosion update

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 04:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Marcelino
When the E46 BMW´s M3 first came out , a lot off the 6 speed version were bending or breaking valves , the 5 speed version ... nothing . There is a conection : People miss shifted from 6th ( at over 200 KPH to 3rd resulting in the egine spinning way over 10000 RPM causing sometimes the failure on the road back from the dealer to home .
Doing this kind of shifting/mis shifting play will upset any engine , and it will live you stranded in a blink of an eye .
Jhoffy, could this also apply to your riding style, down shifting without slowing down first, causing the engine to over rev? That could cause valve float and resulting engine damage.

Ride on
Brewster

Old 07-06-2011, 04:38 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brewster
Jhoffy, could this also apply to your riding style, down shifting without slowing down first, causing the engine to over rev? That could cause valve float and resulting engine damage.

Ride on
Brewster
No I don't think so. I slow down then downshift all at once right before I come to a complete stop. If you don't slow down enough you skid the rear tire, especially with the knobbys I have on. I've been riding for a long time, and was just recently exposed to the idea of speed shifting and gave it a try a few times.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by David R
Could have been as simple as a valve with not enough clearance. (tight exhaust valve kissed the piston) Then down hill from there.

Were the valves ever adjusted on that bike?

David
What David said.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
Not that I'm aware of. I never adjusted them. But I never had any problems when I had just the 250.
My valve clearances were to the tight end of the tolerance at less than 1,000 miles on a brand new bike. I'm voting that the valve clearance was the point of origin.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Condolances to Kawasaki Forums - View Profile: jhoffy22 Im sorry this happened. So what have you done to fix the bike? New head and piston I presume is it running yet?

Old 07-06-2011, 05:56 PM
adr
1st Gear Member

I agree with those who said it wasn't a lean condition. I've burned more than my share of pistons.

Here is a pic of a burned/melted piston

Old 07-06-2011, 06:03 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

adr, that's a classic 2-stroke lean burn, but don't 4-strokes look a little different when it occurs? Still, the molten pieces coming off the piston seems common in most engines when super lean. jhoff's piston doesn't seem to show any sign of extreme piston crown heat. 4-strokes succumb in different ways to some lean conditions, but I'm no authority by any means on all the nuances of 4-S failures.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Feral Donkey
My valve clearances were to the tight end of the tolerance at less than 1,000 miles on a brand new bike. I'm voting that the valve clearance was the point of origin.
What HE said

I checked the valves when I got my bike @ 2,000 miles. One Exhaust was just on the edge of the specs for tight. I adjusted them when I did the cam timing thing @ 8,000 miles. One exhaust had to go from a 3.05 mm down to a 2.95. (two steps) The other exhaust went from a 3.05 down to a 3.00. All four are now in the middle of the specs. I don't plan to mess with them for a long time.

David

Old 07-06-2011, 06:21 PM
adr
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
adr, that's a classic 2-stroke lean burn, but don't 4-strokes look a little different when it occurs? Still, the molten pieces coming off the piston seems common in most engines when super lean. jhoff's piston doesn't seem to show any sign of extreme piston crown heat. 4-strokes succumb in different ways to some lean conditions, but I'm no authority by any means on all the nuances of 4-S failures.
I don't have a real good pic of a 4 stroke burned piston, but found this one on google.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
No I don't think so. I slow down then downshift all at once right before I come to a complete stop. If you don't slow down enough you skid the rear tire, especially with the knobbys I have on. I've been riding for a long time, and was just recently exposed to the idea of speed shifting and gave it a try a few times.
Jhoffy22 : I´m sorry man , over revving is over revving it does not matter if you are upshifting , downshifting or just playing with a stopped bike .
Don´t rely too much on the rev limiter , it is mostly meant to remind you that you shoud upshift just in case you were day-dreaming . Some bikes and cars also have a little light with the inscription " Up Shift " on them .

Quick Reply: Head/Piston explosion update