Head/Piston explosion update

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 03:54 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by b_joannblue
Hello all I just got a e mail from one of you telling me I needed to look at this post. I don't spend very much time on the forum not enough time in a day.
After looking at the photo of the piston & cylinder it looks like the sleeve cracked because of excess side load when the valves hit the piston. I told him to send me the cylinder so I can take a look at it. I have the new sleeve's in stock & could have it back to him in 2 days for some reason he don't want to send it to me.
Bill
Good to know. I didn't think to direct you to this thread on here. It's not that I didn't want to send it to you it's just that my mechanic had already dropped it off at the machinist and was trying to get done with things as quickly as possible because I was having him split the bottom end and clean up the piston shards. He told me all of this when he was giving me my estimate or else I would have shipped the piston to you. I never thought it was an assembly issue myself and wish I would have caught the crack before I dropped the bike off. Nonetheless, it's a good thing the mechanic caught it.

I may try to get the sleeve from the machinist and still send it over to you so you can inspect it. Or if you would like I can put you in contact with the machinist that claims it was from being pressed too hard.

Do you think that it may have been a timing issue after all?