Head/Piston explosion update

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 05:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Just for the fun of it. I own a garage and I learned early on to NEVER say anything bad about another shop. All it will do is make ME look bad in the end. Kill em with kindness no matter what.

My response to a customer (this is true and happened more than once)

"No I will not put on my invoice that some one else screwed up the job"
" I will make the proper repair, invoice you and you will pay me for the work." What you do after that is not my concern.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Ron, I know you're a meticulous mechanic, so could you expound on what developed in your case? What was the first sign of trouble, etc?
Coolant in the crankcase.

I tried the obvious stuff first - head gasket, etc. The problem ended up being a crack in the aluminum cylinder. It wasn't visible with the sleeve installed.

Ron

Old 08-02-2011, 12:23 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Coolant in the crankcase?...I'm pretty sure your Thermobob caused that.

LOL!...OK...you know I'm JK. Thanks for that info, Ron.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member

"Iowa Guy"
knows everything, done everything better than everyone, can do no wrong, and will argue the point that a **** ant doesn't **** unless Iowa Guy says so.

Not exactly, but you get the drift i'm sure. Iowa Guy posted here a few years ago, got banned, then came back under an alias and got booted again.
Sometimes i miss Iowa Guy only for his stupidity and arrogance.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:32 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GaryC
"Iowa Guy"
knows everything, done everything better than everyone, can do no wrong, and will argue the point that a **** ant doesn't **** unless Iowa Guy says so.

Not exactly, but you get the drift i'm sure. Iowa Guy posted here a few years ago, got banned, then came back under an alias and got booted again.

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
...and JHoffy explains that this is what he's doing. I stated that it's "skating on thin ice" because JHoffy's REPORT of one mechanic's statements verses another individual's REPORTED statements can lead to all sorts of implications.

If this unknown mechanic and Mr. Blue want to have their statements on this thread, let them make them. JHoffy is not providing enlightening information by putting both men's (I'm assuming the unknown mechanic is a man...I could be wrong) statements as opposing one another's respective opinions. JHoffy states he "trusts" this unknown mechanic, then types a statement supposedly made by this mechanic that the sleeve installation was done incorrectly. That is an implication that Mr. Blue didn't do the job right, and someone JHoffy "trusts" says so.

THAT, to me, is skating on thin ice.

It's just my opinion. JHoffy already said that he didn't intend to be placing blame....gotta take him at his word on his intentions.
Originally Posted by Blackheart58
I see no reason why gentlemanly etiquette shouldn't be an expectation, even on the internet. That's all I'm asking for. JHoffy did his part and stated that my impression of his posts weren't his intention, and, I take his word for his intention.

I simply expressed my opinion, then, responded to a request for further explanation. I have no problem with the results of the exercise, nor with anyone that chose to participate in it or to ignore it. I also have no problem with being said to have my knickers in a twist....I thought it was funny, in a British-sort of way.

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
No no...that's not it at all. I don't think it's anyone's fault buy my own. There are too many other factors to weigh to place it on an assembly issue. I'm simply regurgitating all information that I gather to this community. A lot of people speed shift without problem also. Bolts were torqued down correctly the second time through.
Did you miss the bolded portion blackheart?

Old 08-02-2011, 04:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GaryC
"Iowa Guy"

Oh, I was thinking that Iowa Guy was short for 7 different words. I didn't think that it was the screen name of someone in the past. Now I know what people are saying when they say Iowa Guy. Let's face it we all know or have known someone like that in our life time. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007 Green Machine
Oh, I was thinking that Iowa Guy was short for 7 different words. I didn't think that it was the screen name of someone in the past. Now I know what people are saying when they say Iowa Guy. Let's face it we all know or have known someone like that in our life time. Thanks for the info.
Green machine, take a look at this older thread:
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...71/done-24197/

09klxowner is iowaguy on his new account after his old account got banned. He was before my time but I was getting some enjoyment going back and reading his old threads.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
Did you miss the bolded portion blackheart?
No, I didn't. That's why I said we all must take you at your word regarding the content found in the bolded portion.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Aluminum expands and contracs faster than steel. I used to own a dodge spirit rt, they had aluminum heads that had steel core plugs (thanks chrysler!). They cracked religiously if you over heated it ONE time. Just food for thought....

Old 08-03-2011, 03:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Hello all I just got a e mail from one of you telling me I needed to look at this post. I don't spend very much time on the forum not enough time in a day.
After looking at the photo of the piston & cylinder it looks like the sleeve cracked because of excess side load when the valves hit the piston. I told him to send me the cylinder so I can take a look at it. I have the new sleeve's in stock & could have it back to him in 2 days for some reason he don't want to send it to me.
Bill

Last edited by b_joannblue; 08-03-2011 at 03:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Head/Piston explosion update