Head/Piston explosion update

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 02:02 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Well, regardless, it sounds to me like you're pursuing some professional mechanical advice to rectify what's happened up to this point, and it appears that you're slowing your pace to insure that everything gets done correctly this time. I think you'll be rewarded with good results if you continue this approach.
I sure hope so! I just can't wait to get back on the bike!

Old 07-29-2011, 02:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
.....this machinist is undoubtedly the best in the state and I trust his word....

As for the reasoning...it doesn't really make sense.....
It's a machine. Mechanical things break....they do so more often with improper assembly and abuse. In this case, to search for a "definitive cause of failure", there is NO WAY to ignore the incorrect head-bolt Torquing nor the speed-shifting that could have exceeded the safe rpm range.

This "he said this, they said that" discourse isn't constructive. The facts are: you assembled it incorrectly (not only the sequence, but also the torque values) and you abused it (speed-shifting at redline...something you said was a bad habit), and it broke. That SHOULD be the end of the story.

This ill-advised internet psuedo-autopsy smacks as an attempt to implicate wrongdoing by the person that sold you the 351 kit. That's skating on thin ice.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:20 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
It's a machine. Mechanical things break....they do so more often with improper assembly and abuse. In this case, to search for a "definitive cause of failure", there is NO WAY to ignore the incorrect head-bolt Torquing nor the speed-shifting that could have exceeded the safe rpm range.

This "he said this, they said that" discourse isn't constructive. The facts are: you assembled it incorrectly (not only the sequence, but also the torque values) and you abused it (speed-shifting at redline...something you said was a bad habit), and it broke. That SHOULD be the end of the story.

This ill-advised internet psuedo-autopsy smacks as an attempt to implicate wrongdoing by the person that sold you the 351 kit. That's skating on thin ice.
No no...that's not it at all. I don't think it's anyone's fault buy my own. There are too many other factors to weigh to place it on an assembly issue. I'm simply regurgitating all information that I gather to this community. A lot of people speed shift without problem also. Bolts were torqued down correctly the second time through.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yikes, this is the first I heard of this post. What I dont understand is how a lean engine will make a piston and valve look like they hit each other. doesn't make sense to me.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
What I dont understand is how a lean engine will make a piston and valve look like they hit each other. doesn't make sense to me.
In a multicylinder setup? Possible: if the heat causes a valve in one cylinder to hang up in the guide and stick "open". In a thumper? I've not seen it...but, I'm no expert.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lutz
Actually it may be the third cracked 351 cylinder. Along with merickk's there was another one with a very low serial number (I think merickk posted that info over on ADV that Bill told him so - if I'm remembering wrong feel free to call me on it).

Who knows if they all cracked for the same reason(s).
I didn't advertise it, but my first one was cracked, too. Bill stood behind it and replaced the cylinder.

Ron

Old 07-29-2011, 07:23 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ranger Ron
I didn't advertise it, but my first one was cracked, too. Bill stood behind it and replaced the cylinder.

Ron
Yeah, I hate to advertise it like this because the last thing that I want to do is make Bill lose business by making potential customers but due to my limited mechanic knowledge I feel inclined to weigh the opinions of other more knowledgeable KLXers.

If I can someone get the old sleeve from the machinist, I'll send it to Bill and see if he can tell if anything is wrong without the sleeve being in the jug. The machinist said that it was due to being pressed too hard whatever that means but he also said that there were other markings on the sleeve due to mechanical failure and because of that its unlikely that someone would attribute it to a assembly problem.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:13 AM
1st Gear Member

While I'm sure some maybe had a crack, many seized engines will crack the bore on sleeved or bore out engines (know way u could ever crack the stock 250 bore!). So if the crack is noticed only after failure I would never assume that was pre-failure and the cause.

As Blackheart said, so much depends on how it is built-up. Only when u know everything was to spec, nothing missed, broken in properly and not ridden stupidly can you only start to suspect part prem-failure. Anyway my 351 still going strong and am still breaking her in...

Old 07-30-2011, 01:28 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ranger Ron

Ron
Ron, I know you're a meticulous mechanic, so could you expound on what developed in your case? What was the first sign of trouble, etc?

Old 07-30-2011, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
<snip>...This ill-advised internet psuedo-autopsy smacks as an attempt to implicate wrongdoing by the person that sold you the 351 kit. That's skating on thin ice.
I've been following Jhoffy's adventures, but I haven't seen any posts where he tried to blame Bill or anyone else.

If you are going to accuse him (jhoffy) of such things, would you mind providing a link to which you are referring to?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Head/Piston explosion update