Haven't Cranked It In 6 WEEKS!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member
Exclamation Haven't Cranked It In 6 WEEKS!

So, will my battery still work? I guess there shouldn't be much of a drain on the thing.

I know my CBR1000RR would not start without a charge after about 3 weeks or so, but I believe the alarm drained the bike down.

Should I go just crank it and let it idle for a while tomorrow?

Old 12-07-2008, 03:42 AM
1st Gear Member

mine sat for about a month and fired right up.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09'Kawi250s
mine sat for about a month and fired right up.
Good to know.

This other beast frightens me, though. I haven't cranked this poor bastard in over three months. I forgot to add my Stabil, and just did $800 worth of carb work before the summer.

I'm gonna give it a whirl on Monday, I guess. Gotta get my lazy *** off the couch and hook her up to the hose and see what I can do.

Not lookin' forward to it...

Old 12-07-2008, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

she should fire up after 6 weeks. if not just charge up the batery a little. And you'll have to ride her to charge up the battery.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

If you didn't drain the carb before you shut it down............. the carb will vapor lock after 4-5 days; some will go longer before they vapor lock but most wil......sooner or later its just a 250s "thing"

lay it on it side for a five count and then pick it up............
this will cycle the gas in the carb bowl- pull the choke it should fire right up.

Last edited by wedge; 12-07-2008 at 04:03 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wedge
If you didn't drain the carb before you shut it down............. the carb will vapor lock after 4-5 days; some will go longer before they vapor lock but most wil......sooner or later

lay it on it side for a five count and then pick it up............
this will cycle the gas in the carb bowl- pull the choke it should fire right up.

I didn't drain it, but I did turn the fuel off. So -- I should be okay as far as that aspect goes.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:07 AM
1st Gear Member

it a carb thing- just shuting off the gas is usually not enough unless you shut off the gas and ran it until it stopped.some around here are freaks about doing this.........
I just lay it down for a short nap if I havn't ran it for a week or two.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:09 AM
1st Gear Member

sorry Deej your not a freak......... ummm I guess you are!

Old 12-07-2008, 06:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Wow, I don't understand how y'all can go more than a week without cranking it and riding. I start to get that tweak after about 3 days... which is why I rode Friday and couldn't feel my fingers or toes for an hour afterwards. Longest I've ever gone was maybe right at 7 days. I have to get out and at least start it and putter around the yard almost every day.

I must still have that "Wow I actually learned to ride a motorcycle" syndrome or something

Good luck starting it, USMC. You probably should drain the gas out of the bowl. It does go bad. Maybe not overnight like some claim (cough Deej cough) but after six weeks I'm sure it has either evaporated or gone sour.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wedge
sorry Deej your not a freak......... ummm I guess you are!
Hey Wedge, what up dog? I guess I'll own that, I mean after all I do fit the bill most of the time. As far as laying the bike over, that does the same thing as running some of the gas out before shutting off the bike. Hey speaking of laying the bike over, yesterday I did a stupid thing. you can read about it here. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...653#post343653

Quick Reply: Haven't Cranked It In 6 WEEKS!