Have Muzzy...Do I need gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 07:27 PM
Default Have Muzzy...Do I need gaskets?

I have my Muzzy. Do I need to buy a gasket or two? Do I have to remove the Backfire screen in the air box? What is a good air filter for this bike (K&N, Uni)? A friend is helping me with the carb mods and Muzzy install on Thursday, I cant wait. Oh, one more thing, I want to change the stock spark plug, is there a brand that is better than others? Thanks.

Ryan.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:13 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Have Muzzy...Do I need gaskets?

Not sure, the dealer did mine when he jetted the bike for me. Also the mechanic told me to run the bike with the air box cover off, so that's what I'm doing. The bike feels like its on nitrous now, wooo hoooo

Old 07-18-2006, 12:46 AM

I picked up the header pipe gasket from a local dealer for like $4.00
Ref# 11061 Part# 11061-1055 Item desc. GASKET,EXHAUST PIPE CONNECTING.

= edited to just say that the gasket above is the oem copper one. I wanted the spare to replace in case the original has some strange fit from the original install - cheaper for me to have a spare on-hand when I end up doing the change out =

Waiting for my Muzzy Spring Loop to be repaired before I install.

I was curious about the air filters also. From what I have read leaning towards the Uni.

For the heatshield I am gonna try the Moose Carbon Fiber one talked about in this post Exhaust Wrap Post and will probably later redo a mount for the stock guard.

I don't know about the Backfire screen or plug.

Old 07-18-2006, 03:23 AM
1st Gear Member

As for spark plugs I always had good luck with NGK. thats the only plug I use.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:08 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Mine had a copper washer between the head pipe and the engine exhaust port. That's all should be there. That's according to the service manual.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:45 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i got water in my intake again...... dont think i would run with the cover off, actually i have to cut the bottom of the kdx snorkel so i can face it to the front of the bike, i think water is splashin onto the top of the rear fender and rolling down and into the snorkel, so im gonna turn it around.

Old 07-18-2006, 04:56 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

i have my clip on the third position on needle and the 125 main and the 40 pilot, and its runnin a little rich, air fuel screw is at 2 turns out... think i should put the clip on the second position?

Old 07-18-2006, 11:37 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

i have my clip on the third position on needle and the 125 main and the 40 pilot, and its runnin a little rich, air fuel screw is at 2 turns out... think i should put the clip on the second position?
It depends on where what RPM range you are having issues. In general, here's what the various carburetor parts affect:

So depending on where you are having issues, you can narrow down what to adjust. For example, if everything is good except for the top end, you may need to increase or decrease the main jet size. Similarly, if you are having trouble in the mid-range, consider a needle adjustment. If you think it's rich across the board, look at the pilot screw / jet.

I really wish these various parameters could be adjusted in real time. I guess that's what the fuel injection does for you.

Edit: pic no longer works

Quick Reply: Have Muzzy...Do I need gaskets?