Have I been decieved?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:00 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Have I been decieved?

Does this article read correctly?

Does a completely hotted up KLX really put out more torque and horsepower than an 05 CRF250X or WR250?

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Articl...019&Page=3

I suppose that there IS no replacement for displacement, but that's still pretty cool, to know that a the modest dual sport has some potential as a project bike enduro

Old 09-04-2007, 07:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Have I been decieved?

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

link won't work. the carb is the key though. unless you have an FCR (or pumper) carb, it still won't run with those bikes. the KLX will most definitely make more torque simply because of the larger engine if that's what the article says they did. but horsepower, I doubt it. those bikes have race engines in them. you're still dealing with a KLX engine that's essentially 14 years old in design and technology. I'm not saying that it can't happen, but i'd have to see it on a dyno to believe it. plus, after all you'd have invested you would be better off buying one of them bikes to start with. money can buy or make anything. the engines in those bike are like the engines in the KX250F's, they're just tuned differently. the honda is different altogether though because it only has one cam i believe.
Actually, it's a link to a shootout between the 05 CRFX and WRF, it has nothing to do with the KLX.

They dynoed each bike individually. The link isn't working atm, just as you say, but when it was working, they got readings of 24 and 26 hp, I believe that the WR put out 24.

The horsepower readings were around 18 horsepower, same for each bike.

I just think it'd be cool knowing that after 8 years of sitting in your garage, and eventually becoming overshadowed by your other more performance oriented bikes, that KLX still has some potential as a project bike.

Old 09-04-2007, 02:29 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

i don't know what kind of source this is, but i can tell you right now that a CRF or WR puts out 33-36ish horsepower for a 250. 24-26 is KLX300 territory with a pipe and jet kit. the ratings you mention are just not accurate.
The ratings he mentioned CAME FROM THE DYNO CHART IN THE ARTICLE!

The CRF250X and WR250F are nice bikes, they're just not street legal. The article is from April of 2005. They ran the bikes on a dyno. It didn't attempt to find out what the maximum horsepower could be attained with performance enhancing parts. No, they didn't indicate what kind of tires they used, nor temperature, altitude, relative humidity, or anything else. What does it matter? It was a comparison of a couple of dirt bikes. It was the opinion (backed with SOME scientific data) of a magazine editor. The point of the article was that both are fun and capable dirt bikes. There is no real edge from one to the other, it basically comes down to do you prefer red or blue. I prefer street legal, I prefer green, I prefer dualsport. If I ever decide I need the same power and torque delivered by an off-road or MX bike, I'll buy one of those.

Since you're not going to read the article, the dyno chart indicated that the CRF250X produced 26.63hp @ 10,200rpm, with 15.91ft lbs of torque @ 7,900rpm. The WR250F produced 26.54hp @10,100rpm with 13.86ft lbs of torque at 10,000rpm. Why would they lie?

And yes, with the right parts and tuning, it is possible to push our little KLX (for those that actually have one) into the horsepower range of a stock 2005 CRF250 or WR250. We have the dyno charts to prove it. Why we would continue to WANT to keep making these comparisons is beyond me.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Well, I was always just under the impression that the WRs and CRFXs pushed around 38 hp stock, about the same as a YZF or a CRFR.