Has anyone ever been stranded on the KLX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:48 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by YUKE
Was not stranded but came pretty close.
I hit a water puddle that turned out to be a sink hole 15 miles from civilization. Thankfully, I had a mechanic friend that done this before, so here is what I had to do to get out.
The bike took in water in to the air box, carbs, and cylinder (the sink hole was waste deep ) If I tried to start, wouldn’t even turn over.
1. Drain the air box, take out air filter, squeeze it out and set to dry.
2. Drain the carb bowl. I don’t think the tool kit comes with the allen wrench for the screw, so I added one in my tool pouch myself.
3. Take the spark plug out and crank it. It will spit all the water out of cylinder.
4. If you have a lighter hold your spark plug over the flame to dry it out.
5. put the spark plug in and try to start. If the bike starts put the air filter, seat together
OMG! I was in the same situation with my quad! I went into a hole of water that ended up having a weird sticky mud substance. I immediately tried to back up to get out, but i slid in. My exhaust slowly started to get covered with water, then the engine was flooded. I was stuck in the hole! I jumped off my quad and walked 4 miles until i found someone to pull me out with a winch.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:22 PM
1st Gear Member

My story is not of my KLX letting me down but of riding alone in the bush and having a crash resulting in a broken leg. (still recovering)

Fortunately my cell phone still worked and I was able to call for help. Had a great helicopter ride out of the bush to the hospital.

This sure made me think about riding alone deep in the bush and what could happen. I'm thinking of getting one of those GPS SPOT emergency locators to carry when I ride.

Riding with someone would be good as well but as many of you know it's often hard to organize riding partners.

Take care out there on your rides.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Got stranded on the KLX this weekend. Was riding the backroads and the rear tire went flat. I felt like I was dirt track racing, because I was steering straight but the bike was sideways. Nearly impossible to ride on a flat knobby tire. I called the wife who brought the pickup and hauled it home.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09klx
Do they make kickstarters for our bike? I looked at didnt find anything.
Yes, Kawasaki does. There is at least one thread on this forum detailing the installation. My bike came from the dealer with one installed. Works great as a back up if your battery dies.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gr8stdane
Got stranded on the KLX this weekend. Was riding the backroads and the rear tire went flat. I felt like I was dirt track racing, because I was steering straight but the bike was sideways. Nearly impossible to ride on a flat knobby tire. I called the wife who brought the pickup and hauled it home.
Seriously? I've ridden many many miles off-road on flat knobbies with total stability. I went slower of course to prevent smashing the rim but none of this sideways business. Had your flat tire come off the rim? I won't carry the tools to fix a flat since it is so hard to do and since it is so easy to ride the flat out of the woods.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:52 PM
1st Gear Member

i got stuck once in the high desert like 100 mile from home right after getting gas. after about 30 seconds i saw i had a kink in the gas cap line, and the bike started right up. that was user error, so no, bikes never stranded me.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:38 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
Yes, Kawasaki does. There is at least one thread on this forum detailing the installation. My bike came from the dealer with one installed. Works great as a back up if your battery dies.
I was told and read that it only went to 2007. Our bikes are not included.
Yes, I saw the installation and the part number.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I got stranded on the street once by my old work almost two years ago due to a flat front tire. Other than that - nope.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09klx
I was told and read that it only went to 2007. Our bikes are not included.
Yes, I saw the installation and the part number.
Same motor, same kickstart kit