Has anyone ever been stranded on the KLX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:31 PM
1st Gear Member

What was the issue with the bike, and how did the rest of the day go?

I usually ride solo on system roads in the EDNF. I dread a remote breakdown - broken chain, flat tire, mysterious engine/electrical issue, etc.

I was riding a W650 once and ran over a nail 20 miles from home. It hade tube tires so the innertube lost it's air in minutes, not like a radial where you don't know there's a nail until you change the tire and see it sticking out on the inside.

The sidewall was stiff enough that i was able to ride home, backroads only, on the shoulder of the road in second gear. I spent the whole time waiting for the bead to come off the rim and end the ride, but I made it home. Had to throw the tire and tube out afterward, the whole sidewall looked ok but had been pinched between the rim and the ground for miles.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09klx
Do you think a kick starter would have helped? I managed to start it by push start, but it only moved about 50 feet before it turned off.
I suppose that ultimately depends on what went wrong in the first place. I know the kickstarter would have helped if your battery was dead.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member

44,000 miles on a KLX650 with electric start only - never stranded. Don't ride alone so even if I did have a problem we could bump start it. Although it might be a bit tougher to do than a 250 would be.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you've got a good friend there 09. Let us know what went wrong with the bike when you get it all sorted out. Sucks getting stranded but at least you didn't get stranded becuse of a crash.

M

Old 08-25-2010, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

My guess is the starter interlock circuit that needs permission from the kickstand, clutch lever and neutral switch. Why we disconnect that crap.

Worst for me was losing the headlight in the woods and riding home in the dark. Blow fuse, no spares no tools.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Was not stranded but came pretty close.
I hit a water puddle that turned out to be a sink hole 15 miles from civilization. Thankfully, I had a mechanic friend that done this before, so here is what I had to do to get out.
The bike took in water in to the air box, carbs, and cylinder (the sink hole was waste deep ) If I tried to start, wouldn’t even turn over.
1. Drain the air box, take out air filter, squeeze it out and set to dry.
2. Drain the carb bowl. I don’t think the tool kit comes with the allen wrench for the screw, so I added one in my tool pouch myself.
3. Take the spark plug out and crank it. It will spit all the water out of cylinder.
4. If you have a lighter hold your spark plug over the flame to dry it out.
5. put the spark plug in and try to start. If the bike starts put the air filter, seat together

Old 08-25-2010, 08:35 AM
1st Gear Member

I had my bike die @ 75 MPH on an out of the way mountain road while it was about 90 to 95 degrees out. I was riding with a couple of friends who stopped to see what was the matter, (they were in the back because their DRZ's could not keep up!). I tried to start the bike several times with out even a single fire or sputter.

Checked the plug, and everything I could. I had replaced the coil with an aftermarket one so when I was able to get ahold of my girl I had her bring me the stock one. No dice. I was stumped so we loaded the KLX up and headed back home after the four and a half hour ordeal.

When I got the bike home it started and ran fine, but later left me stranded again so it was off to the dealer. The problem ended up being a small plug thats under the seat mounted to a relay on the rear fender had come slightly unpluged which killed the spark. Lesson learned, problem solved.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:34 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
I suppose that ultimately depends on what went wrong in the first place. I know the kickstarter would have helped if your battery was dead.
Do they make kickstarters for our bike? I looked at didnt find anything.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:36 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KDXmike
Sounds like you've got a good friend there 09. Let us know what went wrong with the bike when you get it all sorted out. Sucks getting stranded but at least you didn't get stranded becuse of a crash.

M
Yes, he is. Very true a crash and no one to help out..ouch! Hopefully it doesn't happen to any of us.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:39 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RimBender
My guess is the starter interlock circuit that needs permission from the kickstand, clutch lever and neutral switch. Why we disconnect that crap.

Worst for me was losing the headlight in the woods and riding home in the dark. Blow fuse, no spares no tools.
What fuse was blown? I feel ya i was kind of in the same situation except that you were lucky enough to actually be able to move your bike.

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever been stranded on the KLX?