Has anyone ever been stranded on the KLX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:48 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Has anyone ever been stranded on the KLX?

Today, I went dirt biking in my area and I was having lots of fun. After leaving the city and entering the wilderness, I continued on my way. Suddenly stopping to take a picture of my dirty bike and the great view, I turned off my bike and took the picture. When I got back on my bike and started it, THERE WAS NO POWER! I was stranded in the middle of NO WHERE !

Old 08-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I sucked an intake valve in the middle of 2 lane busy traffic.... i was in the fast lane....

Old 08-24-2010, 01:52 PM
1st Gear Member

So what did you do 09? Did it end up starting back up at some point. I've thought about what would happen if the KLX died in the forest. There's no pushing the heavy beast to far.

M

Old 08-24-2010, 02:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Check your battery cable connections. Mine did the same thing once and the battery cables were loose. Thankfully the ignition is a magneto and they will pop start and run without the battery.

Old 08-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

You didn't hit the kill switch did you? I have never used that thing. I use the key every time. No chance of leaving the light on that way while sight seeing. Never been stranded in 5 years and 14,000 miles.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Ah, the reason this bike should have come with a kickstarter. You can always add it. My KLX has one added.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
Ah, the reason this bike should have come with a kickstarter. You can always add it. My KLX has one added.
I would have preferred the KLX come without electric start from the factory. It's convienient but...

M

Old 08-24-2010, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KDXmike
So what did you do 09? Did it end up starting back up at some point. I've thought about what would happen if the KLX died in the forest. There's no pushing the heavy beast to far.

M
First I checked the battery cables and everything was fine. Being in the wilderness I didnt have much phone service, but I managed to call one of my friends who luckily just got off of work( it was 5:30pm) . Being far from the city, I knew that it would take my friend at least an hour to get there so i tried to push start, but I had no luck. At 7:30pm I saw two guys passing by in their dirt bikes and we had a chat. They offered to help me out by finding my friend and telling him where I was. My friend finally showed up at 8:50pm. I was so grateful when he showed up I couldnt see anything it was dark.

Last edited by 09klx; 08-24-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
Do you think a kick starter would have helped? I managed to start it by push start, but it only moved about 50 feet before it turned off.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:03 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
You didn't hit the kill switch did you? I have never used that thing. I use the key every time. No chance of leaving the light on that way while sight seeing. Never been stranded in 5 years and 14,000 miles.
Wow Lucky! Believe me its a terrible feeling. No, I didnt push the kill switch. I actually went to start my bike and pushed the starter when everything died and I had no power

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever been stranded on the KLX?