Has anyone else experienced this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 02:01 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Has anyone else experienced this?

i agree totally. if your at sea level like me you should rejet. finding out ones elevation is a good starting point to decide whether or not to rejet and this young man hasnt gotten to that point yet.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:23 AM
1st Gear Member

frog, another factor that changes fuel air mix is humidity!!! the more humid it is outside the leaner you will run with the air so full of H2O it holds less free Oxygen. thats why when you are near a large body of water and it is humid it is hard to breath. Just another factor to think about. I hope all this info helps!

Ken

Old 05-15-2008, 12:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I found out that I am at about 200f asl, near the st-lawrence river...because of thatI should rejet but I don't understand why it runs as good as before. Should'nt I see a difference somewhere if it needed rejetting (I thought it would'nt be running well if it needed to) and what about the plug?(it seems a nice color...)????

Old 05-15-2008, 07:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I contacted two brothers they told me that all of thier testing and the Dyno chart for the KLX250Was done with stock jetting all thier Hp numbers come from a totaly stock bike with thier slip-on. I do not know how else to help your situation?? If your bike runs fine, plug looks good, and you are happy with it's performance leave it alone. If you want to try for more performance. then I would Rejet and unless there is anyone on this site that knows ALL aspects of tuning such as all funtions of every part of the carb, as well as all of the enviormental aspects that effect fuel air mix, and how all the other mods will effect the air fuel mixture.I would (I DID!!!)Contact as many dealerships as possible and talk to as many Kawi Mechanics as you need.. Good luck!!!!

Ken

Old 05-15-2008, 07:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, thanks. I will continue my research with some dealers to see what they think. But unless it wrecks my bike, I will continue riding it like this until I get more answers. Until then, any other comments are welcome.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:05 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Hey froggie, try taking your bike out in the dark and riding it till it's good and warm.
Check out your header pipe on your exhaust, right by thecylinder head.

It'll probably look pretty cherry red (very hot). Or if you have a laser temp guage you could check it in the daylight.

Your engine may not "die" outright, but heat is a baad thing.
You're probably creating more heat by running the engine in this condition.
I didn't see you mention that you've removed the smog crap? That is also heating up your exhaust gas temps.

At the very least I think you're shortening your engine life. But if you like the way it's running, it's your choice...

Old 05-15-2008, 10:43 PM
1st Gear Member

If Two Brothers Developed, tested & dynoed theslip-on on a stock KLX. I think he will be fine and if he was overheating don't you think that the temp light would come on and the fan run constantly!!!!!

Ken

Old 05-16-2008, 01:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I'll keep an eye open. I'll see what happens when the hotter summer days arrive.It seems ok right now but it may get worse later this season.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:56 AM
1st Gear Member

not for nothing but they don't test over an extented period of time or miles. what is fine for the first few hundred miles MAY not be fine a few thousand miles later. if a lean motor runs hot and heat is bad then rejetting is a good idea. think of it as protecting the motor more than foranyperformance gains........ just a thought

Old 05-17-2008, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Kawi, I just went riding my bike and you were right, it really runs hot. The header was orange as it was hot. Now tell me, if it is jetted the right way it should run less hot? I also read somewhere on the forum that if you remove the smog thing it will help to run colder. So those will probably the two next mods that i will have to do on the bike before riding it.