Hare scramble course

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 05:22 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default Hare scramble course

Well i went riding with scott yesterday from thumper talk. He took me to a hare scramble ( i think thats how its spelled) course, it was everything from really wet mud, to dry packed dirt to hill climbs to riding down creeks... it was awsome, and i rode the klx to the place too... i put like 170 miles on the klx yesterday. He was riding a KTM 250 2 stroke, i kept up pretty good the only thing that slowed me down was my worn out kenda 270, screwed me on a couple of the wet hill climbs, but beside that i did good, the tire was pissin me off, i would have done alot better if i would have had a better tire. But we put 13 miles of hard aggressive woods riding, i was on the klx from when i left home at 12:15 to 6:45 at night... it was a long day, that much trail riding really tires you out. They are going to be having a race at that course next weekend, they just finished setting up the markers and we sneaked in to test it out. It was really fun, he said he has some more trails that are better for 4 strokes, he was tellin me that his ktm wants to scream in mid range its not nice and easy roll on power. He also has a honda crf450, he said he likes it better than the ktm. It was a nice bike, if you think our seat is hard, you should feel the ktm... my seat felt like a lazy boy compared to his seat... all in all it was fun. I need to get a set of ramps to get my klx in my truck so i dont have to ride it down that far and back, the ride back was a killer, i was so tired. It took everything i threw at it, and i only fell over once, cause the back tire started spinning on a hill climb and i just fell over, but that was the only time i lost it, Scott said i did good for it being my first bike, tons of fun, now im gonna look into getting the trak master tire, thats what i really needed. Just a little report, no pics sorry, didnt take the camera, and wouldnt have had time to stop and snap any pics anyway. Maybe next time.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Hare scramble course

Good report, sounds like a fun scramble and a loooong drive home. It's good to have riding buds on two smokes....... it makes you a much better rider in the long run.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow that sounds like a great place to ride! And yes, while I was reading before I got to the end I was thinking you would be much happier with the K760, aka Trak Master II tire - it is much more agressive and hooks up well.

Glad your bike held up good - I'm literally going nuts waiting to ride again! So keep it on two wheels and don't get hurt like I did and then be out for a month and a half.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:40 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

yea it was great, i was lookin at the trak master today, im just wondering how it will wear on the street? Im always trying to be careful, but ya gotta have fun, and if it aint dangerous its usually not that fun I told scott that he could ride my bike if he wanted and he said he didnt want to because he would want another bike, he was really impressed with it... o yea and he loved the sound of the big gun with quiet core out, he said im making him want a pipe for his honda now... lol... i love my bike! Im looking at getting gear now, so i dont get hurt, next purchases are gear, ramps, and tires. So is that trak master a good tire? Thats probably what im gonna get, now that i have someone to ride with that like the aggressive stuff...

Old 10-23-2006, 02:17 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Yeah, the Trak Master II is a good tire, a great tire. My front washed out on me on that famous rut, though, but I think that was the rider and not the tire. Note that the K760 is not going to be great on the road - it sacrifices on-road performance for off-road traction and has relatively tall skinny ***** that hook up well in the dirt, but will bend under hard braking or acceleration / turns on the pavement. But it will not let you down in the dirt - just take it easy on the road.

If you do a lot of road, something like the Dunlop 606 might be better due to his larger **** design which will probably hold up better under hard braking / acceleration on the pavement, but it still is a formidable off-road tire.

I can pretty much guarantee that the K760 will wear out sooner than the K270, at least based on my experience. As far as wear goes, I would rate the K760 somewhere in between the very fast wearing Dunlop 603 (stock on our bike) and the longer wearing K270. But they are not horribly expensive so they won't break the bank. Personally, I don't mind my tires wearing out because it gives me the chance to try a new one.

I think my next set of tires might be the Bridgestone E660 and E661 DOT Enduro.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey EMS my buddies are running the Dunlop 606's and they love em on the street and yesterday in the dry dirt and the mud they did well, no problems at all.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:52 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Ill have to check that tire out. I gotta buy tires for my truck before the bike... so it might be a little while. Thanks your the heads up.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:40 PM

I'm running the 606's. Great tire and it is wearing quite well. I just got a Perelli MT21 for the front.

Old 10-23-2006, 06:56 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

how is the 606 in real wet soft mucky mud?

Old 10-23-2006, 07:09 PM

I have not gotten into too much mud. The slimey rock river crossings went great. I drove through some very deep dry silt and had no trouble hooking up. The weekend before last we blazed a trail through some wet weeds and fallen trees, I only got stuck once crossing over a large mossy log.

Quick Reply: Hare scramble course