harder to do a wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:03 PM
1st Gear Member
Default harder to do a wheelie

How come it is harder to do a wheelie with the 13 front sprocket? Power band just not in the right spot anymore?

Old 07-06-2012, 03:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Just sit further back on ybe seat. At least thats what I observed my mechanic did when he did a slow wheelie on first gear on my bike. Its cool. Wish I know how. Looks effortless. Bike didn't rev hard.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:33 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Unless you have a 3hp Briggs & Stratton engine in your KLX, technique is everything. I have a buddy who can wheelie everything from Goldwings to Cushman scooters. I can't do it, but I swear the guy might even be able to wheelie a front wheel drive car.

Yeah, you gotta have a little power, but over half of it is technique. Cegusman, you're probably right about the change in the powerband being the culprit in your scenario making it a little harder.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Had no problem getting it up with the 14 tooth. The 13 tooth its just almost impossible and a struggle to do it.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:30 PM
1st Gear Member

when you put the 13 on It pushed you rear wheel back ferather so it makes it harder to get up

Old 07-06-2012, 09:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmon6969
when you put the 13 on It pushed you rear wheel back ferather so it makes it harder to get up
Doubt it. Only moved the wheel 1/4" back if that. I can under stand 1.5" or more but not 1/4"

Old 07-06-2012, 10:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Unless you have a 3hp Briggs & Stratton engine in your KLX, technique is everything. I have a buddy who can wheelie everything from Goldwings to Cushman scooters. I can't do it, but I swear the guy might even be able to wheelie a front wheel drive car.

Yeah, you gotta have a little power, but over half of it is technique. Cegusman, you're probably right about the kochange in the powerband being the culprit in your scenario making it a little harder.
Yup its all about proper technique. How you play the clutch and throttle and sitting position.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member

My 2007 isn't any worse after going with the 13T, but I was surprised to find that it's really no better either. Thought it might make a 2nd gear wheelie easier, but not so. I can get the wheel in the air but not enough to hit balance point.

No clutch is necessary even with only my free/cheap modded bike in 1st.

Did you by any chance soften your rear spring preload? A softer rear will eat energy in the compression of the rear spring that could otherwise be used to loft the front.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

i could see it if you ran a 15t fron but a 13t should deliver the torque better but it will be out of the band soonet than a 14 so adjust when you are trying to get it up to a slower speep or use the tach to find where the motor jits the best for it

Old 07-07-2012, 03:37 PM

I too run a 13 tooth front, but the previous owner had put on a 42 on the rear. I also find mine hard to wheelie ( even over puddles)...what would be a good rear sprocket to install to give more "pop"?..I don't ride too much street so I'm not worried about losing street speed.

Quick Reply: harder to do a wheelie