hard to start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:18 PM
IG
Default RE: hard to start?

ORIGINAL: RIKLX250S

Did a oil leak search found this. http://www.doesharleysuck.com/
pretty interesting site. But don't you think it's ironic that the only reason you did a search on "oil leaks" is because a Kawasaki KLX owner has one with only 30 miles on it? And the creator of that HD site and HD hateris complaining of oil leaks out of what he calls a "like brand new bike with 8,000 miles" on it? I mean the new HD's are nice, but even with 8000 miles on a sporty, a bike which probably vibrates more than any other HD in the lineup, there are bound to be a few problems, especiallyon an old '99 model andespecially the breather oil blow by which is normal. the new '04-current HD's are way better than their predecessors as they are rubber mounted and do not vibrate nearly as much as the rigid mounted HD's. That's not to say they won't ever leak oil. My '03 never leaked oil out of the cases but did blow oil out the breather when I redlined it on acceleration which was quite often, but would take a long time for enough to build up to actually leak out. The storiesand myths of HD's leaking oil is true in the earlier older HD engines where oil wouldjust leak out of the bottom of theengine onto the floor. This does not happen anymore, if your HDleaks oil, it generally is a seep out of the valve cover gasket as noted in this article. This is a general area for all makes of motorcycles to leak oil, it's just a matterof time. But this guy with the brand new KLX with an oil leak with only 30 miles isunacceptable and just proves that even Kawi isn't immune from defects. My father's '82 1100 Spectre(dressed up KZ1000) leaks oil out of the head gasket like a stuck pig, and it's only got 16,000 mileson it. Over time, everything will leak. I find it quite entertaining though to see others who are so naive to believe that when someone mentions HD thatthey immediately associate bad bikes and oil leaksto the name. It's too bad if you're one of them, because you are missing out on a really nice motorcycle. Sure you can buy a jap HD wannabe, but there's just nothing like starting upyour very ownHD and opening it up on the open road knowing you're on the real thing instead of a Shadow, Virago, Vulcan, etc. No one can describe it and you can't experience it until you own one as it's a feeling.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Is it true that HD used to have motors with out gaskets? I mean that they made the motors to fit without having to use gaskets? Or was that old VW's? I can't remember. Maybe another Harley myth. Just curious.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's some great websites to share good info with other hd owners

http://www.hdforums.com/
http://www.topix.net/motorcycles/harley-davidson
http://www.findhd.com/
http://www.motorcycleforum.com/archi...x.php/f-8.html

they even have hot chick pics on hd's[sm=icon_rofl.gif]
Name:  2885008-angry_grannies.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  70.3 KB
Name:  DSC08083.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  88.0 KB

Old 11-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

The caption should say old dikes on bikes..........[8D][8D][8D]
Name:  DSC08083.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  88.0 KB

Old 11-19-2007, 05:41 PM

Oooops My mistake I googled HARLEY OIL LEAKS not "oil leaks" And I actually did it cause someone stated that the EVO'S where as tight as a snare drum. As for what ever else you have to say IG I just do'nt give a rats a$$.[sm=crossbonesgif.gif]

Old 11-19-2007, 05:45 PM

I bet IG thinks those babes flipping him the bird are" as tight as a snare drum"[sm=boohoo.gif]

Old 11-19-2007, 05:50 PM
IG

newbie "bandwagon hostility towards IG" coming to a staunch point if I've ever seen it, like the summit of a mountain.
It's nice to try and cover your inaccuracies in prior posts, but next time try not to be so obvious about reconciling your original post, it makes you look like, well, a newbie.