hard to start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: hard to start?

ORIGINAL: IG

Oh, tremor- you need to find something else to bash as the newer HD engines are as sealed up as a snare drum and do not leak oil. Dating back to '99 on the big twins and the mid '80's to current Evo has never had oil leakage problems. It's the real older ones that had oil leak issues but they would at least start when asked. I realize you aren't too intelligent when it comes to Harleys but let's not share your inexperience and total biaswith the forum, K?
Wrong thread. I haven't even posted in this thread until now. How about paying more attention next time.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:35 AM
1st Gear Member

I dotn think this is the same IG. There is something different. We may have an imposter.

Old 11-17-2007, 01:53 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Seems pretty authentic to me.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Name:  DSC08407.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  62.2 KB

Old 11-17-2007, 04:04 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KLXer

I dotn think this is the same IG. There is something different. We may have an imposter.
Highly doubtful

Old 11-17-2007, 09:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Evidently, whoever wrote this failed to consult with IG.

Fuel has additives that separate over time. Some cling to different areas in your carb, like the slow jet, which is easily plugged due to the small opening. Also, the water content builds-up and settles, having much more effect on the small area inside of the float bowl.

When we start mowers in springtime at the range, many times they won't start until you dump the tank and put in fresh fuel...not the stuff that has been setting in 5 gal containers all winter either...straight from the pump.

ORIGINAL: poodlenuts

Old 11-17-2007, 01:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, another IG to set us straight in this crazy world

Old 11-17-2007, 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: deej

Wait a minute!! So you're telling me that its easier to pull the seat everytime rather than run the thing out of gas? Ok to each his own, but you gotta at least try the other way just once.
No smartazz - that's not what I said. And, covering the exhaust trick doesnt work on my bike. BTW, I was fixing to make some kool-aide - wanna come over and stir it for me? Sheesh-us-christ.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bonafide

ORIGINAL: deej

Wait a minute!! So you're telling me that its easier to pull the seat everytime rather than run the thing out of gas? Ok to each his own, but you gotta at least try the other way just once.
No smartazz - that's not what I said. And, covering the exhaust trick doesnt work on my bike. BTW, I was fixing to make some kool-aide - wanna come over and stir it for me? Sheesh-us-christ.
Actually that is exactly what you said.

kawiridr04 - Mine does that too. I go long times in between riding my KLX - so much so that I'll do a monthly start up and ride around the cul-de-sac a bit to keep it from wasting away. No flaming now - I have 3 other bikes I ride. I have some usual mods, ie: Big Gun - rejet - snork removed. The easiest thing to do is pull the seat off, and cover the hole up on the air box with your hand or something that will seal the air. Pull choke and go thru your normal start up routine. This last time I started mine - it had been sitting for a good 6 months without being touched - GAS ON. After replacing a dead cell'd battery - I had to cover up with the airbox hole with a thick piece of plastic before it would start - I couldnt seal it enough otherwise. It did smoke a bit while warming up. Changed the oil and went for a 100 mile ride with no problems.

Don't get all mad at me, I didn't mean to hit a nerv man. I was just stating that its not easier to pull the seat and cover the box.

[align=right][/align][align=right][/align][align=right]
[/align]

Old 11-18-2007, 01:37 AM
1st Gear Member

[sm=smiley20.gif]Right on bro.

Quick Reply: hard to start?