Handle Bar Vibe Cure?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 11:47 AM
Default RE: Handle Bar Vibe Cure?

On the KLR650, which in my opinion vibrates much more than the KLX250S, a lot of folks are running the ProGrip 714 grip. It is a get grip that is rather 'puffy' and provides a great resistance to vibration. You can get them at Arrowhead Motorsports.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I have no problems with vibrations on my bike, when I get on the YZ250 thats a whole other story. I had no idea what carpal tunnel syndrome was till I was getting a physical for a job I applied for and they hooked these probes up to my hands and shocked me to test my reflexs or something and they told me I had carpal tunnel and I was medically disqualified for the job. I'm only 20 and they say I have it.

Old 05-26-2006, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I found thick gloves and thin grips make my hands go numb.

Old 05-26-2006, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Aluminum bars will help a lot. Between the aluminum bars and Acerbis dual-sport handguards, all bar vibration has basically been eliminated on my bike. I still get a little buzzing around 8,000 rpm. However, I didn't have any vibration or buzzing when my bike was stock, it showed up after putting on my KLX300 muffler.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:21 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

How'd the KLX300 muffler work out, BTW? I don't remember seeing any reports on it from anyone who actually tried it.

Old 05-26-2006, 05:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Works great compared to stock. I don't know how it stacks up to any of the aftermarket stuff, but for $20, it was a great upgrade. My brother finally put his on last week, he can't believe how much more power his bike has now.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:20 PM

I've also found that thick gloves make my hands go numb/my wrists hurt. Tight gloves also do the same thing. I've found that a proper fitting pair of MX gloves work the best as far as comfort, but they lack for protection on the road. My KTM 380 vibrates like a 2-stroke Harley and using Pro Taper handlebars on it helped big time. Hopefully some of our tips will help you out.[sm=crossbonesgif.gif]

Old 05-26-2006, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I siphoned some more oil out and took it for a spin around the yard. Revving up slowly and then a quick shot past 7K and the vibes are considerably less. Also traction on wet grass with stockers leaves something to be desired, from 6K up it was ripping up the yard even though I pretty much rolled up to 6K. I read the XR650R thread and how there was a "procedure" for filling it and I overfilled my poor girl. It was in spec when I filled it, then let it idle and I must not have let it sit long enough to drain back down. When completely cold it was past the full line. Right now after getting up to temp and cooling for ~2 minutes it shows just over 3/4 full. I was siphoning into a used oil bottle (fill syringe, squirt into jug) and took out ~180 milliters to get it down to around 3/4 full. There is still a vibration but its nowhere near as bad as it was, I still may take it to the dealership and get it checked out but its probably just a normal vibe as I've never ridden anything that revved so high. Thanks guys all the info is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-28-2006, 02:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Well I'm happy to say that I have knocked the vibes down to an acceptable level even at 8500 rpm. I tore my throttle assembly apart and slathered some grease on the bar and reassembled it and checked it for stickiness. It's a little slower to return to neutral but it still reaches the stop before the motor can idle down anyway. Went for a two mile ride where I wound it it between gears up to 9000 once and then hit 75 in 6th and it felt worlds better. I can't say for sure yet that my hand wont go numb but its a heckuva lot better and I recommend this to anyone else who has experienced something similar.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Well the vibes are much less but not enough so to keep my hand from going numb after only a few miles offroad or ~10 on road. I just picked up some Joe Rocket Blaster gloves, they are pretty comfy for being not broken in, much more room in the thumb area and they flex right for riding compared to my work gloves. I'm thinking I'll try the gel grips that were linked above.

Quick Reply: Handle Bar Vibe Cure?