Handguards question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 12:30 AM
adr
1st Gear Member
Default Handguards question

I'm looking at the Acerbis Rally Pro Handguards. Wondering if their are any issues installing/using these guards on a SF ?

Thanks

Old 03-26-2010, 01:36 AM
1st Gear Member

You will need to trim the ends of your bars to remove the weights, then they fit fine. If you don't have a tubing cutter it may be easier to get new bars. I have had them on my bike for a year, but finally got tired of them bending. Nearly every time I have dropped my bike one of the guards bent and pinned the lever against the bars. Requiring removal of the handguard to finish the ride. Sometimes they can be bent back using a large rock or two. I just picked up some MSR gaurds that look like they may hold up better, we'll see.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, cutting the bar ends was a PITA, but a phemumatic cut off wheel helps a lot. Eventually I bent my stock bars, so I sort of wished I just saved the step and purchased new bars to begin with.

Anyway, my Acerbis handguards have been to hell and back, they look like it too, and have never bent on me. I've bent bars, discs, shift levers and a few body parts, even cracked the plastic winter spoiler a few times, the handguards never bent.

If you aren't looking for protection from crashes just wind protection, the stock guards from the KLX work great, if you want bigger, the KLR guards are like elephant ears, but are great for winter rides.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Putting hand guards on this bike is ...well to quote our vice president... "is a big f#@!*ing deal". I changed handlebars when I did mine so that added to the misery. The switch housing don't quite fit the diameter of aluminium bars.What should have taken about 30-40 mins took about 2 hours.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

i changed the bars out before putting on the handguards. i didn't want to deal with cutting the ends out of the stockers. it was still a PITA. took a while to get everything lined up and I still ended up having to cut a small piece of the clutch lever off (about half the ball). I would rather change the piston than mess with the handguards again

Old 03-26-2010, 05:38 PM
adr
1st Gear Member

Did anybody notice an increase in vibrations by cutting the weights off the bars ?

I like how smooth the bike is.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Man, am I glad to hear that I wasn't the only one who thought they were a PIA. I thought I was inept or something. I went with the MSR bar ends and put them on the good ole stock handle bars. That was mostly tricky cutting the ends off with a saws all, and figureing out wich way to feed all the cables. Then I bought some Pro Tapper SE bars that have a much thicker inner wall. Well guess what I threw out when I put them on the stock bars. Thats right, the mounting bolts that fit inside the SE bars. I ended up buying a smaller nut and bolt, and fuel line to fit in there. I sure hope it don't break, but there is really only one way to find out.. Oh well, live and learn right?

Old 03-27-2010, 01:14 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by adr
Did anybody notice an increase in vibrations by cutting the weights off the bars ?

I like how smooth the bike is.
This = vibes.

This is smooth.....Right Finger? LOL

Old 04-10-2010, 01:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Moose Contours on stock bars. Don't cut the bars, leave the weights in place and drill & tap them to use the supplied mounting bolts. Works great. Been dropped, no bending, no bent/jammed levers.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:13 PM
1st Gear Member

dont know what you guys are on about, I bought a renthal handlebar when i bought the bike as the stock one already had a slight bend, swapped the lot including handgaurds and new grips in about 15 minutes...

Quick Reply: Handguards question