Handguards

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 04:52 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Handguards

I purchased a pair of western power sports offroad handguards. They don't fit, my levers hit. When reading the reviews I saw people said they are identical to acerbis.

Any one else have issues with handguards fitting and more importantly, which will actually fit?

Old 01-31-2012, 04:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by foesweasel2001
Any one else have issues with handguards fitting and more importantly, which will actually fit?
I like Cycra guards. Fit great on my KLX....

Old 01-31-2012, 12:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Try Lowering the leavers and the perch untill they clear the bottom edge of the hand guard. The correct placement of leavers for off road riding, is with the leavers dropped almost 45 degrees from level. This forces your elbows up when seated, brings your but further forward on the seat and is generally a more agressive stance on the bike, giving more control whilst seated or standing. If that does not do it for you, buy shorter leavers/ cut the ball ends off your originals and smooth the edges. Some guys use heat shrink, in fancy colours after cutting off the ball ends, to cover the levers.

I used BarkBuster Ego hand guards, fit perfectly to the stock bars by tapping a thread into the end cap inserts. Alternativly you can cut the bar about 3 mm at the weld and pull out the end caps. This allows you to use the expanders supplied with the hand guards. Bark Busters are made in Australia. Took 3 days from order to my door.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

None of them fit properly right out of the box. A bit of tweaking is normal operating procedure.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:44 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

I cut the ***** off the end of my levers to fit behind the guards better.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
I cut the ***** off the end of my levers to fit behind the guards better.
Similar ^. Bike came with one broke off. Dumped it and bent the other, so cut it. Then used shrink tubing and a heat gun to add "buttons" to the ends. First piece of tubing about 1.5" long (estimate), slid it about half way on then bent forward, then another piece of tubing over that.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:06 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

Highway dirtbike fit fine without modifying the levers...

Old 02-01-2012, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 to what was said about having the levers at a different angle compared to the bark busters. My levers are angled downward compared to the angle of the bark busters. Also agree that most bark busters need some tweaking to get a good fit.
Dan

Old 02-02-2012, 04:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I am returning the western guards and getting a pair of tusk d-flex, they say theirs have more room for levers. I guess we'll see.

Thanks for the input on cutting the ***** off the ends, and the shrink tubing.

Last edited by foesweasel2001; 02-02-2012 at 04:53 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Will any of the hand guard brands fit the stock bars?? I want a strong hand guard and not just the plastic cover. I want it to secure into the end of the bars too for strength. Also eventually i will be buyin some better handlebars so which ever hand guard i buy i want to fit onto new bars also. Which should I get??

Quick Reply: Handguards