HandGuards

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Default HandGuards

I ordered acerbics pro rally hand guards for my new Pro Taper SE bars and the will not fit with out a lot of modifications. Are there any guards out there that will fit around the brake master cylinder with out cutting. I also do not want to cut my clutch and brake lever ends. Please help!

Old 04-10-2008, 01:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: HandGuards

Hi David,

I have "Barkbusters" on mine, had to also buy an adapter kit to fit, but all is well.

Cheers
Chris.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Beat me to it. Barkbusters with the triple clamp mount kit. No mods needed and plenty of clearance.

-Justin

Old 04-10-2008, 01:35 PM

who makes barkbusters? What is the brand and who sells them?

Old 04-10-2008, 02:41 PM
1st Gear Member

see here.
They're Aussie, built tuff.

US Supplier.

Twisted Throttle LTD
1080 Kingstown Road
Building 2
Peacedale, RI 02879
USA

Ph: +1 (401) 284-4200
Fax: +1 (401) 223-6954
Email; info@twistedthrottle.com
Web: www.twistedthrottle.com

Old 04-12-2008, 06:20 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: david681

I ordered acerbics pro rally hand guards for my new Pro Taper SE bars and the will not fit with out a lot of modifications. Are there any guards out there that will fit around the brake master cylinder with out cutting. I also do not want to cut my clutch and brake lever ends. Please help!
You can mount those handguards. Try loose fitting everything first. If you rotate things a little you will get the clearance you need. The only modification I did was to grind the little **** off the factory parts that mate up to the holes in the stock handlebars.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_283236/tm.htm

I got the Acerbis Ralley Pro's and they fit with a little effort on my part. I put on ProTaper "SE" KX High bars at the same time.

Left the handle bar end plug out about a 1/2 inch to clear the factory levers (this puts all the knurling inside the bar and leave a smooth shaft on the end of the handle bar). Everything has to be moved around and adusted so it fit and didn'tbind. The Master Cylinder was easy but, getting the throttle cables where they didn't bind was a little tough. With the KX High bars and extra width (I didn't trim them) you are at the extreme range of what the factory throttle cable will take) expect to spend a little time playing with the cable placement to get to work.

Now, if I could just get that infernal front brake line out of my field of view for the odometer. [:@]

The factory Acerbis Ralley Pro's flow a lot of air over your hands so, keep that in mind in colder rides. The aluminum bars in them are pretty long too which is part of the reason I didn't mount them flush with the handle bar ends.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:30 AM

I have the stock bars and added the Acerbis Rally Pros with no major issues. The hardest part is drilling out the ends of the handle bars. I also had to reroute the clutch cable a little bit, but it was no big deal. If you want to see pictures of the completed project and where all the cables and wires are ran check out the post listed below. It make take you some time to get them to the configuration you want, but they will fit. I didnt have any issues on the throttle side. Hope this helps..

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_283..._2/key_/tm.htm

Old 04-15-2008, 09:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I also have the Pro-taper bars and acerbis rally pros..regardless of bars, you will have to notch the handguard around the brakeline. And the stock levers will work, but as someone stated above, you will have to loose fit everything first. I had to loosen the inner clamps onf the handguards and push them outwrads towards the ends of the handlebars as much as possible to create enough room for the clutch and brake levers to work without rubbing the handguards. I would still use the handguards and just order a set of shorty levers...I just ploaced my order for levers...or simply grind a tiny bit of the **** off as some others have done...but everything should work.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I'll see if I have a picture somewhere, but as far as the clutch cable goes, I tried running it over the top, and then under and either way it put a hard kink in the cable, so I actually drilled a 3/8 hole in the hand guard and it let the cable go right into the clutch perch in a straight line.

Name:  100_5143.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  144.2 KB

Nope you can't really see it in this picture.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Well if you look close you can

Quick Reply: HandGuards