HandGuard Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by armycopter
Thanks for all the great feedback. You guys are starting to convince me. I should probably just suck it up and buy the better guards. Let me ask this... is it at least POSSIBLE to mount this type of handguard to the stock bars? (I'm still recovering from purchasing the bike outright and a little short on cash right now!)

Oh, yeah, one more thing... Do the stock clutch and break levers clear the aluminum guard ok? I don't want to cut my levers at all (as I've seen some folks do). Thanks again!
Yes, but you would have to drill into the bar ends. There are some threads on the boards with pics of how to do it. I would highly suggest just getting better bars like Renthals or Pro Tapers, though. The stock bars are paper thin and the bend is low especially if you stand a lot. I'm not a very tall guy either; only 5'8".

Old 01-15-2009, 12:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I barely had to trim the levers, I had to cut about half of the ball off for them to clear the alluminum guard, and yes, had to tap the bar ends. I am saving up for some better bars, though. Fatbars = coolness.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I see how this motorcycle thing works now. I originally wanted to get by with a pair of $35 "branch deflectors" and now I realize I can't live without full hand guards ($55) and a new set of handlebars ($65). Hmmm... will this ever end? :-)

Old 01-15-2009, 02:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I see how this motorcycle thing works now. I originally wanted to get by with a pair of $35 "branch deflectors" and now I realize I can't live without full hand guards ($55) and a new set of handlebars ($65). Hmmm... will this ever end? :-)
Nope never ends. I run the MSR "barkbusters". I put them on my stock bars with no lever cutting needed. When I upgraded to Protaper bars I changed out the clamps to fit the new bars.Any brand you choose is good in terms of saving levers and hands. Pick what you like and enjoy!!

Old 01-15-2009, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

You don't have to pay $65 for handlebars. For $28, the Tusk aluminum bars at Rocky Mountain ATV are a very good buy. Tusk is the "house brand" at Rocky Mountain. As you browse through their catalog, it becomes obvious that they do not make "Tusk" items, they only label them as such. I have the Tusk handlebars, and they have absorbed some punishment. Any bar will bend, I see no reason to pay more than double for the name.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/prod...FamilyId=12330

Plus, on the Rocky Mountain ATV homepage, on the left, under "info", they have a nifty handlebar fitment guide.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:19 PM
1st Gear Member

What is the stock bend "name" for our bike? I want to get some fatbars but I don't want a crazy ridiculous bend. The stock bend works pretty good for me.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
What is the stock bend "name" for our bike? I want to get some fatbars but I don't want a crazy ridiculous bend. The stock bend works pretty good for me.
ProTaper make a fat bar called the "KX" bend. Should be close to stock KLX. I am 6' so I went with "CR high" bend for stand up riding on the trails. The bike shop I use is big on motocross so he has lots of different ones. I could throw on the "KX" bend and see how it compares to stock for if you want.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Hand Gaurd Search

Originally Posted by dan888
The two you are looking at will keep the wind, mud, and small branches off your hands, but won't save your levers when you lay it down. Unless you are riding real conservatively you will eventually lay it down, and when that happens, the brake/clutch levers have a pretty good chance of snapping off. I would look at some of the "bark-buster" style guards that wrap around and connect to the ends of the handle bars. I have the Moose handguards with deflectors on them. About $65 for the set up, but with my abuse they will pay for themselves in the levers they save.
That is one great looking bike, Dan888!
I like those Moose handgaurds ... never seen them before! Price seems too good to be true! If price is a real issue for Armycopter you might want to look at Emgo Probend Hand Gaurds, they only come in either white or black but they are in the $49 price range. Two of my friends with XT225's have them and they seem to be very durable and they are pleased with the quality. That's about a third of what I paid for my Zeta's!!

Old 01-15-2009, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by roverdude
ProTaper make a fat bar called the "KX" bend. Should be close to stock KLX. I am 6' so I went with "CR high" bend for stand up riding on the trails. The bike shop I use is big on motocross so he has lots of different ones. I could throw on the "KX" bend and see how it compares to stock for if you want.
Yeah that'd be cool, if you have the time and don't mind. I'm looking for the stock bends and the stock height, or maybe an inch taller.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
Yeah that'd be cool, if you have the time and don't mind. I'm looking for the stock bends and the stock height, or maybe an inch taller.
I'll check it out right after work today. The bike shop is one driveway away from my office!! I nearly live there, lol. If I don't get it posted today it'll be first thing AM but I'll get the info. you need.

Quick Reply: HandGuard Recommendation