HandGuard Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Default HandGuard Recommendation

Ok, I would like to put a set of handguards on my 09. I was hoping someone could recommend a set that would fit the stock handlebars without any major modifications (i.e. drilling out the ends of the bars). I don't want to spend a ton of money if possible (I'm sure that's standard with everyone).

I was looking at these:
http://www.langstonracing.com/eshopp...Handguards.htm

or these:

http://www.langstonracing.com/eshopp...Handguards.htm

I will be riding 60% street, 40% dirt. No crazy off-road stuff, just easy single track and fire roads.

Thanks for any advice.

BTW, I got my rear rack from sr8dirt (ebay) today and it looks to be very well constructed. I will try to post a picture after I install it (hopefully tomorrow).

Old 01-14-2009, 10:23 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a set of Powermadd handguards. They seem pretty well-made.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:17 PM
1st Gear Member

The two you are looking at will keep the wind, mud, and small branches off your hands, but won't save your levers when you lay it down. Unless you are riding real conservatively you will eventually lay it down, and when that happens, the brake/clutch levers have a pretty good chance of snapping off. I would look at some of the "bark-buster" style guards that wrap around and connect to the ends of the handle bars. I have the Moose handguards with deflectors on them. About $65 for the set up, but with my abuse they will pay for themselves in the levers they save.
Name:  IMG_4765.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  114.3 KB

Old 01-14-2009, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Definitely get a "real" set of handguards. Those air/mud deflectors that you're considering will fall to pieces the first time you take a fall. . . and you WILL fall. Sometimes, your hands will still be on the grips when you go down. . . how much are your hands worth to you? I haven't seen the Moose handguards that dan888 mentions but that's a great price for handguards with the aircraft aluminum bars behind the deflectors. I have Cycra Pro Bend handguards on my bike and they've already paid for themselves in "saved" clutch and brake levers. Apparently, I paid way too much because these little buggers cost me about $125. I'll be looking at the Moose units for my Yamaha XT225, next!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Those are just more roost or brush deflectors than handguards. If thats all you are looking for Zeta in my experience has been great (its just rebadged Cycra from what I can tell).

If I were doing it dump the stock bars or drill the ends out & get some full coverage aluminum hand guards. Nothing worth saving about the stock bars IMHO. Heavy, weak, & way to much sweep.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:10 AM
1st Gear Member

I agree that its best to go ahead and spring for a true handguard and not just the deflector. I have bounced my Tusk handgaurds off trees and have layed it over a few times, with no broken hands or levers.
I got mine from RockyMntAtv. Bought the Tusk CR high bend bars at the same time, very pleased with both. price was good too.
Name:  IM000192.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  113.0 KB
Name:  IM000191.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  69.0 KB

Old 01-15-2009, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Bark busters

you know they are good because they are made in oz

Old 01-15-2009, 03:22 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tmoe
I agree that its best to go ahead and spring for a true handguard and not just the deflector. I have bounced my Tusk handgaurds off trees and have layed it over a few times, with no broken hands or levers.
I got mine from RockyMntAtv. Bought the Tusk CR high bend bars at the same time, very pleased with both. price was good too.
Me too!

Old 01-15-2009, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on the Tusk D-Flex. Cheap, and they work. Day I brought home my bike I dropped it and snapped the end off the clutch lever (I was a noob.. still am maybe). First mod was the Tusk D-Flex, had them on the bike two weeks after I bought it. They have DEFINATELY paid for themselves many times over in saved levers / my fingers. I put the bike over on concrete doing about 15. I would have probably broke all four fingers had it not been for the handguards.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the great feedback. You guys are starting to convince me. I should probably just suck it up and buy the better guards. Let me ask this... is it at least POSSIBLE to mount this type of handguard to the stock bars? (I'm still recovering from purchasing the bike outright and a little short on cash right now!)

Oh, yeah, one more thing... Do the stock clutch and break levers clear the aluminum guard ok? I don't want to cut my levers at all (as I've seen some folks do). Thanks again!

Last edited by armycopter; 01-15-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Quick Reply: HandGuard Recommendation