Handguard install question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 01:06 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Handguard install question.

I am assuming that when you install aftermarket hand guards that you have to open upthe end on the throttle tube, correct. It seems like without that support on the end that the throttle would get hung up and bind on the bars, but I don't see how you would mount the handguards without cutting it. Thanks.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:19 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Handguard install question.

Yes you have to take a box knife and cut the end of the grip off, and then take a hacksaw and cut off the plastic right at the bar end and finally take a 5/8 drill bit and drill out the weights and then dremel out the welds. Then install the hand guards.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Where have you been Deej. I tweaked my bars last weekend when it fell off of Patricks bike caddy.(Lackawana ride partII). New Renthals are going on as well so I can skip the drilling out part.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:39 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Where have I been? I'm here. I was busy replacing my front brake pads on the Dodge 2500 4X4. The job went pretty well, except they sold me pads for the 3/4 ton and needed the ones for the one ton. That's weird, but when I went to install the ones for the 3/4 ton the rivets hit the piston, well after the parts store figured that out, I got everything back together and while I had the wheels off I decided to polish the aluminum with mothers polish and then I did the bumpers and used the back to black on all the plastics, it looks like a brand new truck. Oh and I had to wash the truck of course.Well after finishing that (using the shop at work) I headed home which is only 2 miles and when I got home of course I had to rinse off the truck because the wheels stick out 3 inches past the fenders and the roads are wet, only to discover that the drivers side brake was really hot as in steam came pouring off when I rinsed the wheels. So I figured the caliper was hanging up so I called the parts store and took the car down to get one, and was surprised that it was only $40.00. Took the car down and picked up one, then drove the truck back to work since the impact gun and jack and nice shop floor are there. Anyway when I pulled the wheel off I quickly realized what I had done to cause this. When I change front disc pads I sometimes rotate the caliper to get a better angle at it in order to compress the piston back in and when I re-installed it I had twisted the hose once and so when breaking it wouldn't let the fluid slightly bleed back and so kept pressure on the pads, well everything is back together, and I'm beat. I don't even work that hard .......at work!!! Deej out. Oh and its 10:35 and I just had 3 cups of coffee, so if this post seems like I have ADD or whatever the acronym is this month well maybe I do, or hopefully its the coffee typing.[8D]