Handguard bar end mount

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 03:47 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Handguard bar end mount

I've been changing up my handlebars recently trying to find that perfect setup and width. Eventually, my bar end allen head bolts got stripped out from repeated installation and removal. So I decided to try these inserts:

http://www.brpmoto.com/product_info....roducts_id=422

These things are great. You tap the bars, thread in the insert, then thread the hand guard bolt into that. It makes for a very secure bolted fit not the split aluminum friction fit of the traditional hangers. The included screw seems to be a better quality harder metal than the ones that came with my hand guards, and because of the non-friction fit, you don't have to crank it down so tight which keeps the allen end from getting stripped from repeated installation and removal.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Handguard bar end mount

What's the difference between that and a regular stainless Heli-coil I use on my outboards when I strip sumthiin?

Old 01-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I've never used a heli-coil but the net result looks similar. The above look like they are made from solid threaded rod which has been drilled and tapped. Heli-coils are spring-like inserts.

A heli-coil might be difficult in this case because I think it might require a pretty large bolt to go in, which may require too large of a hole drilled in the 3/4 inch handguard bar - might not be much metal left. But if that's not the case, a heli-coil would work similarly.

Note that if you already have the tap, you can save $10 and just buy the inserts. Or if you have a metal lathe, you can make your own.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Those inserts sure do look like Heli-Coils, cant really tell in the pic. It just looks like they are selling heli's with end bolts at a significant markup.....but I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Oh yeah I got a tap and die set.....its mandatory workin on boats an such that are in salt water.

$10 for a tap is a little steep, ya can get a decent tap and die (metric & english) kit for $30 from Harbor Freight, I use themquite often, on the bikes to clean threads, good tool to have.

Edit: So you're sayin the insert is a solid rod that has been drilled and tapped on the inside and die'd on the outside....if thats true that would be better than a heli.... I think.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

You may be right, I don't have any experience with heli-coils other than what I just googled. What I found looked like tightly wound springs. Maybe there are different kinds.

http://www.emhart.com/products/helicoil.asp

The Atek are definitely solid, like threaded rod that has been drilled and tapped in the center and notched at the end so you can put them in with an allen wrench.

I'm sure they are are over priced, regardless. There is probably about $0.03 of threaded rod, then the machine work to make them which probably takes about 10 minutes.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Heli's are definately springs not solid.... and have a kinda loose feel when ya start a bolt into them...not real confidence inspiring, trust me....but they always seem to work when tightened up.

If the inserts are solid they could sell a lot of them in the marine industry if they made em out of stainless .....Heli's are kinda a last resort thing.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Actually, on 2nd thought, I bet they are made from big set-screws which would already have the allen head. All they'd have to do is drill them on through and tap for the screw. I have some smaller set-screws I use for mounting fittings to motor shafts, and the ones above seem to be made from the same hardened steel material as the smaller ones that I have.

So yeah, they are probably making a good profit on them.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Brian always has all the cool sh*t - damn!

Old 01-14-2008, 02:03 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: klx250s_rider
Brian always has all the cool sh*t - damn!
I don't want to hear it! You're dating Lara Croft, you get no sympathy from me.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:15 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

They are dating? When did this happen? Did I miss the announcement? I'm always the last to know.[8D]

Quick Reply: Handguard bar end mount