Had a serious crash and have a serious problem, I need help urgently

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 01:58 PM
1st Gear Member

From the images it looks as if the shaft could be in 2 pieces.
Anyone taken one out? Does the splined end run all the way to the selector forks?

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 11-06-2008 at 01:19 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Sorry about the problems you are experiencing, hope you find an easy fix. Oh and welcome to the forums.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:07 PM
1st Gear Member

If I recall correctly and as long as this bike works the same as others....the gear shifting shaft (the supposed bent one) turn the shift drum. The pics you have above are the shift forks and the shafts they sit on.
________
Starbucks Gift Card

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Dudes, you guys are sending this guy on a wild goose chase...
There's no case splitting involved. Drain the oil, take off a little cover on the left...

This is not like a 2-stroke MX'er where the shift shaft goes all the way in the case. It's a stubby little thing - about 2 inches long if I recall.
It all drops out when you take off the cover behind the shifter.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kawi Wawi
There's no case splitting involved. Drain the oil, take off a little cover on the left...

This is not like a 2-stroke MX'er where the shift shaft goes all the way in the case. It's a stubby little thing - about 2 inches long if I recall.
OK, well.. like I said, I wasn't sure. And those parts diagrams and shop manuals don't show or tell you crap. You gotta have someone thats been there to speak up.
________
MOTORCYCLE TIRES

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:27 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
From the images it looks as if the shaft could be in 2 pieces.
Anyone taken one out? Does the splined end run all the way to the selector forks?
Originally Posted by Kawi Wawi

That's what I was thinking.
The part 13161 on the schematic only looks about 3 inches long. It must connect to the shift forks on the other side of the case, essentially a two piece. So just removing the cover over the shifter shaft should have it out and ready for inspection. I hope this is where you prob' is as it's a much simpler fix than the shift star or gears themselves.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey guys, I'm flattered you posted some pics I took, but Kawi is correct....99.999% chance splitting the case will not be required. Actually no taking off the left side cover either.

Here's a pic to instructions from the service manual pretty basic stuff, just follow instructions and you are good to go. I was in there once and I bent the part they said to replace, been a year still shifting.

Hmmm, that pic came out small, can you guys read it???

Last edited by Finger Mullet; 09-30-2008 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:50 AM
1st Gear Member

That's what I was thinking. Hard to put it into words after 12 hours in the ED on a public holiday. Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. The last gearbox I did was on a Yamaha RD400 more than 10, years ago ( yes I've been lucky, I now use the clutch a lot more. Clutches are easier and cheaper than gearboxes.) I vaguely recall it having the same set up.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
If I recall correctly and as long as this bike works the same as others....the gear shifting shaft (the supposed bent one) turn the shift drum. The pics you have above are the shift forks and the shafts they sit on.
I think the pictures show ALL the relevant parts. Clutch in, shift brain into first, short shift brain into second, open mouth.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Quick Reply: Had a serious crash and have a serious problem, I need help urgently