Had to get away

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:02 PM
1st Gear Member
Thumbs up Had to get away

Usually I have an entertaining story to write, but for some reason my creative techniques are just not flowing lately.
So I will keep the nonsense to a minimum, and get right to it, ok?

Its been a lousy winter here, cold, gray and very little snow. I needed a break. Might as well load up the KLX an head south, eh?

Name:  DSCN4260.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  147.0 KB

Thought I could sneak through NYC under the cover of darkness and avoid the hell hole of traffic over the GW Bridge. Um, yea, how did that work out?

Name:  DSCN4266.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  66.4 KB

Once I crossed over the Delaware Memorial Bridge, I was ready to get some miles under my belt.

Name:  DSCN4273.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  77.3 KB

Into Virginia, then into North Cackalacky, and I was loving the temps.

Name:  DSCN4284.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  70.4 KB

Tonight's destination? Jacksonville, FL. Stop in and see my dad for a couple days. 19 hours of driving, 1100 miles and I was there

Name:  DSCN4294.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  194.8 KB

I was itching to get the KLX out for a blast, but heavy suburbs kinda kept me from going far around there.

I put the KLX in Dads garage and did a little last minute maintenance to it

The weather wasnt all that great, but thats ok though, after a relaxing day off and avoiding the SF golf courses, I was outta there

Over the Shands Bridge I went

And put on my game face

Name:  DSCN4322.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  68.5 KB

Todays destination? Ocala. Gonna meet up with one of the inmates from advrider.com, and spend a couple days exploring Ocala National Forest

I got there, meet my host Mr. Phillip Kuntz and unloaded the KLX,

Name:  DSCN4323.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  196.8 KB

He was waiting for me and it was off we went.

<more to come>

Old 03-02-2010, 09:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Sweeeeeet. Road trips are awesome. Road trips with your bike are freaking amazing.

Can't wait to see more pics!

Old 03-02-2010, 10:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I lived in Ocala, Fl for awhile before my klx days but spent many a hours on my 4-wheeler in the forest. I wish that I could find somewhere like that here in the Greenville SC area.

Thanks for the short trip!

Jim..........

Old 03-03-2010, 04:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Good stuff!!!

Old 03-03-2010, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Member

OK, so I meet up with Inmate Phillip Kuntz, and he decided to test me out right away, and took me of into Ocala NF by way of the powerlines.

Name:  DSCN4324.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  208.6 KB

Good LAWD !! What in the Fahk have I gotten myself into??? This sugar sand is nasty sheet to ride in !!

Name:  DSCN4329.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  150.0 KB

But hey, I only almost went "azz-ova-tea-kettle" 30 times. And that was within the first hour !!

Name:  1-26-10018.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  190.8 KB

Once I got my groove going, I kinda sorta figured it out. Kinda sorta.

Name:  1-26-10013.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  174.0 KB

Name:  1-26-10006.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  181.8 KB

I was impressed with the variety of the terrain down there, some of the sand was loose and nasty deep, but that was out in the sun. Under the canopy, it was packed down a bit better, and a little easier to ride. Yea, right !!

Name:  DSCN4331.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  224.7 KB

Its pretty entertaining for sure. Gotta really watch for all the dead fall, its not easy to see, and sometimes its just not at the correct angle to get some air and go over it.

Name:  1-26-10008.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  155.1 KB

Really good riding in there once you get the hang of that nasty loose sugar sand. I like the lakes down there, lots of them and super clean and nice to look at.

And the difference from one area to the next was really cool.

Name:  DSCN4372.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  232.2 KB

Unfortunately, It was getting late, and that there cooler full of cold beer was calling to us.
So we headed back
What a great day of riding. And the best part, PK invited me to spend the night and ride again tomorrow !!!

Name:  day1inOcala.png
Views: 33
Size:  484.1 KB

And who was it that said Flori-duh was flat???

Name:  day1elevationOcala.png
Views: 55
Size:  107.3 KB

<more to come>

Last edited by Fourty2ri; 03-03-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:29 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hahaha ....great pictures, gotta have respect for those guys that can ride in the sand. I'll take my hard packed dirt and ball bearing gravel anyday. Thanks man for the report.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Great stuff, 42. You should have rung up FM from down around that area, too. I'd really like to make a trip down there some weekend for just that kind of riding. Might have to do it and hire Finger Mullet as a guide. The gourmet meals might be extra, though.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Maps... Cool.

I first thought, Wow crazy terrain, then notice the elevation scale.
total varience was like ~140 feet. That is a fine tooth saw blade of a ride

Funny, I get 140' from my garage down to the Blvd. lol. I'll have to see what So Cali looks like on that type of scale. Cool thanks.

Thanks

Old 03-04-2010, 04:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nobrakes
Great stuff, 42. You should have rung up FM from down around that area, too. I'd really like to make a trip down there some weekend for just that kind of riding. Might have to do it and hire Finger Mullet as a guide. The gourmet meals might be extra, though.
I tried to hook up with Finger, we discussed different dates, but he was traveling the weeks I was there.
You would love riding down there, that sugar sand is unlike anything I have ever ridden in. You HAVE to be up on the pegs, and on the throttle, all the time in order to float over it. Your super loose, on the verge of outta control the whole time. It was awesome. I will do it again next winter, its a great break for me from work and the usual winter scene here. Two weekends before I went I was in Maine, climbing mountains on the snowmobile. I love the contrast !

My writing skills seem to be hibernating right now, but I will finish the roadtrip up

< still more to come>

Old 03-04-2010, 07:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SlapDrum
Maps... Cool.

I first thought, Wow crazy terrain, then notice the elevation scale.
total varience was like ~140 feet. That is a fine tooth saw blade of a ride

Funny, I get 140' from my garage down to the Blvd. lol. I'll have to see what So Cali looks like on that type of scale. Cool thanks.

Thanks
Well, when you consider the fact its nickname is "Flatistan" you might see the humor in it!

Quick Reply: Had to get away