Guy crashed in front of my work today

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 02:00 AM
Default Guy crashed in front of my work today

So I'm at work today and all of a suden a guy on a Virago 750 tries to cross traffic at a very busy intersection. He probably couldn't see if anyone was coming from one direction, but went anyway. Well a Camry hits his back tire and knocks him off a few feet to the ground. This is the best part....he had a helmet, but it was strapped to his back seat! I mean, honestly, if you make a effort to bring it, wear it!! Anyway, no serious injuries. I think he might have broken a couple bones.

Old 09-27-2006, 03:37 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Guy crashed in front of my work today

They call them Donor Cyclists. Idiot! I can still remember when helmet laws were not required here in Washington State, all I know is that if they got rid of the law tomorrow, I would never ride without a helmet.

Old 09-27-2006, 03:51 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: klxstiffler

This is the best part....he had a helmet, but it was strapped to his back seat! I mean, honestly, if you make a effort to bring it, wear it!!

Well first of all, I'm glad that he was OK. It sounds like he was very lucky considering.

As far as your comment about the helmet on his seat, I couldn't agree with you more Stiffler.
It truly cracks me up when I see guys with helmets on their seat.

We don't have helmet laws in CT. I must say though, the vast majority of the riders wear a helmet. Mostly guys on Harley riders that don't. Hey it's their choice and they're not breaking any laws so whatever, you know.

What really cracks us up is that since we are on the border of NY/CT, and NY has a helmet law, when a bunch of NY Harley riders come over the border, they all stop and take off the pudding bowls off their head and they pump their fists in the air like Yeah or something stupid like that. Like they're beating the system or something. lol [&:] We all get a good chuckle out of those guys.

Old 09-27-2006, 04:10 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

They call them Donor Cyclists. Idiot! I can still remember when helmet laws were not required here in Washington State, all I know is that if they got rid of the law tomorrow, I would never ride without a helmet.
I would generally agree, but sometimes its not quite as simple as on the surface. Personally I would always make the choice to wear a helmet - just seems like a small thing to do and such a large consequence if you don't.

But some of the arguments against helmet laws aren't that you shouldn't wear a helmet, but rather the goverment legislating what you can and can't do. First there's helmet laws. What's next? Oh, maybe there must be a fairing on that bike. Hmmm, perhaps only 17 inch medium compound tires with all-weather tread pattern are legally allowed on the road. Maybe certain boots much be worn and jackets, etc, etc. Maybe we should limit the amount of horsepower allowed? Too much power is unsafe after all. Where does it stop?

So while any reasonably sane person who is aware of their own mortality would rarely object to wearing a helmet, there are many many people that object to the government getting involved and legislating what you can and can't do, and helmet laws are typically just one manifestation of that.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:04 AM

I HATE the helmet laws. Personally, I always wear a helmet and always will but it's MY choice. Now they passed a law that all bicyclists need to wear a helmet. Now I can see a law that forces anyone under 18 to wear one, because they might not have responsible parents around to tell them that they should but to make an adult wear one is just stupid and another way for the law to fine you. The cops around here have givin up telling me about the new helmet law and soon I will get a ticket. I had NO say in creating this law, I don't know how they sneak all these petty laws by the people of Washington. Idaho has the right idea, they let YOU make the choice and from what I have seen most wear their helmets. On onother note, you can't smoke in any public establishment, even a BAR, what a bunch of crap that is. Land of the free is changing fast. We are screwed as long as we let the few make descisions for the masses. Don't forget to vote in EVERY election on EVERY level. Sorry about the rant.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:48 AM
1st Gear Member

I don't care if they have a law or not, I wear a full face, anyone that doesn't wear a lid doesn't wanna keep their head intact. I came off years ago (when I was young and stupid, now I'm just old and stupid lol) if I wasn't wearing a full face I wouldn't have a chin or face. The gouges in the face shield and the helmet chin piece proved that to me. I took enough skin off the doctors thought I'd need a skin graft. I was in hospital for 16 days and unable to ride (had a cast on my leg) for another 6 weeks after I got out of hospital. I was in that much pain they had to give me pethadine...... ahhhh pethadine

Old 09-27-2006, 12:09 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

anyone know Carlos Mencia? I just saw one of his shows last night on stupid people, he was talking about helmet laws... i was laughing my *** off, he said those who don't wear a helmet havent figured out that the ground is harder then thier face... lol... funny stuff, if you dont know who he is check him out, the mind of mencia is awsome.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:20 PM

For the record I always wear a helmet. But the helmet laws are just like the seatbelt laws........it's all about the money.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:46 PM
1st Gear Member

For the record, I'm for helmets, period. (I will, on very rare occasions, shoot up and down my street without one for a quick test when I'm wrenching, but its a dead end and less than 250 feet from end-to-end. That's no excuse, though ... you can still get pretty banged up less than 100 feet from your own driveway!!!)

Laws are pretty touchy things to come up with, but I agree that it should be my choice. On the other hand, the law is there to protect the public as well as the individual. (I'll talk about seatbelts because its more "black & white"): I should be able to choose if I want to wear a seatbelt or not. On the other hand, if I get hurt in an accident, and I'm not wearing seatbelts, why should everyone pay the burden of "no-fault insurance" because I was a dumb-***? They shouldn't. A better way to structure the law would be to look at things as a "partnership" -- if I take steps to protect myself, the government will take steps, too. If I don't, then neither will the government. Therefore, a better law would say that I am entitled to no-fault benefits only if I chose to wear my seatbelt. No seatbelt = no benefits. Seems pretty simple to me: Freedom, flexibility, and fairness. What else could you ask for?

Mike