gutting the stock pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 12:13 AM
Default gutting the stock pipe

Has anyone tried to gut the stock pipe for fun?

Old 08-24-2007, 01:42 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: gutting the stock pipe

It is far more fun to throw it in the garbage where it belongs!

Old 08-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

someone did...... but you would have to make sure you get that catalytic converter stuff outta there too.....

Old 08-24-2007, 04:09 PM

I'm going to cut it inhalf and take alook. I'm not getting my upgrades until winter. (saving up for them). I talked to thumper racing about the 340 big bore kit ($497) and they said it would do good with the stock pipe but even better with the FMF Q2 ( $325). They also said they didn't think the other mods were nessasary or even improvements to the power. Why would they say that when I read so many possitives on the forum? They said they have researched this set up and this is all that is nessary. ??? I'll post what I find inside and what can be done to the pipe for those who can't afford a slip on or who don't want to spend more $ on the bike. I kinda like tearing things apart and seeing what the engineers were thinking or not.thinking. ( not that I'm any smarter) LOL

Old 08-24-2007, 04:18 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bobm417

I'm going to cut it inhalf and take alook. I'm not getting my upgrades until winter. (saving up for them). I talked to thumper racing about the 340 big bore kit ($497) and they said it would do good with the stock pipe but even better with the FMF Q2 ( $325). They also said they didn't think the other mods were nessasary or even improvements to the power. Why would they say that when I read so many possitives on the forum? They said they have researched this set up and this is all that is nessary. ??? I'll post what I find inside and what can be done to the pipe for those who can't afford a slip on or who don't want to spend more $ on the bike. I kinda like tearing things apart and seeing what the engineers were thinking or not.thinking. ( not that I'm any smarter) LOL
What "other mods" are they talking about....... and they ahve researched what set up? Just the 340 kit.... elaborate.......

Old 08-24-2007, 04:49 PM

I was asking them about the free mods. He said that their was alot of guys trying differant things but they feel that the 340 is all u need. He didn't think that their was much to the free mods. I don't think he ment that free mods were totally useless but not worth doing when u have the 340 kit. The 340comes with the carb parts (jets) and eng parts (piston gaskits etc).

Old 08-24-2007, 04:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Unless you really want to tear into the stock exhaust you can save yourself the trouble and buy one pre gutted. The KLX300 stock exhaust (requires 300 headpipe as well), has no catalytic converter in it and has a 1 1/2" exhaust outlet on it and it still has the spark arrester so you are forestry legal, unlike if you gut the stocker. They can be had for under $100 for the full setup on e-bay almost weekly.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

bryantjt, check this out.... i think i have seen this before..... lol... u should sell them too....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-K...spagenameZWDVW

Old 08-24-2007, 04:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Unless you really want to tear into the stock exhaust you can save yourself the trouble and buy one pre gutted. The KLX300 stock exhaust (requires 300 headpipe as well), has no catalytic converter in it and has a 1 1/2" exhaust outlet on it and it still has the spark arrester so you are forestry legal, unlike if you gut the stocker. They can be had for under $100 for the full setup on e-bay almost weekly.
+1. Good performance & relativley low sound. Only bad things are it weighs a ton & will dirty your fender without a tip. If you are halfway patient they can be had WELL under $100. I got a 300 header for I think $26 & the muffler for $3.25.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KLX-3...spagenameZWDVW

white bros slip on for 300..... all you need is a 300 header.....

Quick Reply: gutting the stock pipe