Guess I won't be riding tomorrow as planned...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 01:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Update - power still out. Almost entire state. Power company saying possibly a week without!! I guess they said some big important hardware got taken out by some trees.

It looks like the apocalypse. Damage and everything is blacked out.. Smoke in the air from fires & fireplaces, generators humming.. Crazy. Took me an hour to go get gas. Three stations in town are operational, one ran out of gas as I tried to get in. The others had lines a hald mile up the road.

I drove East about 15 miles and found a station open that only had about 50 cars waiting. hahaa.

Luckily my parents have power, and we borrowed their generator. Have the fridge hooked up, and the entertainment center in the living room. Got a big fire going in the fireplace to keep warm. Good thing is it's supposed to be in the 40s-50s the next few days so not much danger of the house freezing.

Originally Posted by T_i_G_e_R
Pre made meals? Larry wow .. ! Good thing your wife doesnt have cabin fever she would lay out pre folded diapers and fill several bath tubs with pre filled water for baths lol
haha... She went crazy in the kitchen a month or so ago. Made a few chicken pot pies, lots of other stuff. It's going to be hectic in a couple weeks, might as well not have to worry about dinner for a couple months

Good times.

NOT!

ALthough the Subie is done.. Haven't taken it for a test ride yet though.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:21 AM
1st Gear Member

HA HA Wow! you'll have a good story to tell your kid when he/she gets older. As long as everything is working out, it sounds like fun. I suppose after a couple days it's not as fun.
Keep warm
Dan

Old 10-31-2011, 01:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Yea, the storm caused an abrupt end to my Camp-n-Ride for the weekend. I packed up in the rain, drove home as it switched over to snow. It wouldn't have even been that bad but the wind was howling too. I just left the truck in my driveway til this morning.

It doesn't look too bad because I live on the coast, 10 miles or so inland was a whole different story. I had a big tree get ripped down in my yard too.

Name:  b3BpO.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  503 Bytes

Old 10-31-2011, 09:34 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Eric , where's that pic of your bike on its side in your front yard?

Too bad about the snow , I got 70 miles of woods in yesterday pre-riding and sweep riding the local DS ride. awesome day here sunny mid 50's
Dan
This one?
Name:  snowbike003.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  89.6 KB

Name:  snowbike004.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  85.4 KB

Old 11-01-2011, 02:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Update - Power still out!! Since Saturday afternoon.

The generator we borrowed from my in-laws is a life savor.. My furnace is hard-wired into the house though, so I had to do some Mickey Mouse magic and rig something up:

hahaaa.. Who needs ground?! Fire extinguishers are standing by!!!!!
I stuck a smoke detector right above the connection just in case.. It's not permanent.. I'm only using it while home to fire up the furnace and warm the house up.

Also have the fridge, and the living room on the generator so we have food and internet/TV. Ya know, the important things

And some more good news, subaru is done, and holy crap it's much faster now! Love it! And now I can get the KLX out of the garage if needed

Old 11-01-2011, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

News from the front lines. That's great.
Hang in there!

Old 11-01-2011, 02:44 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by zomby woof
So what excuse did they have in civil war times, global cooling?

Global warming not only encompasses temperatures rising, but it also takes in severe weather conditions at non typical times of the year and in places that have never had a particular type of weather condition. Do I believe all that hype? No, I was just using it as a joke.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Actually Larry that looks good, you have to do what you have to do, and in your case you are keeping an eye on things. Good job man! Stay warm, and hang in there.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
This one?
LOL YUP That one

Larry, Good to see you making do. Glad you're being careful about it .
Dan

Old 11-03-2011, 02:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Day 5 - still no power. They're saying should be back by Sunday night!! That's 8 days!!

Maybe I'll have an outage in my checking account and not be able to pay the power company this month

In lighter news, I set my GoPro up in my living room window during the storm. This was one of the more entertaining parts:

Time Lapse snow storm - GoPro HD - YouTube

Quick Reply: Guess I won't be riding tomorrow as planned...